Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Boats

Old 07-30-2013, 08:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
2001 205v $11,500

Well this beauty is what I have officially turned down this past weekend. It would be a great boat for someone wanting a boat for cheap but it would need too much IMO to get it up to par. It has the standard engine with 505 hrs and has not been registered since 2007. The upholstery needs to be replaced but it could make it another season or two depending on how picky you are. The prop needs to be reworked, speakers replaced, new steering cable, new pitot tube for port speedometer, a couple of cup holders replaced, all gas shock replaced for hatches and probably a new rub rail. Now for the bad part. The hull is damaged on the bottom and I got an estimate from a local fiberglass repair shop to repair those spots as well as fix any other chips or marks from the fork lift putting in and out. He quoted me about $1500. If that was the only damage I would have probably bought it but upon further inspection, there were several spots where you could tell had hit the dock hard enough to crack the gel coat. On the starboard side, there were spider cracks at least three feet long, which in itself was enough for me to say no thanks. Anyway, I have several pics so if anyone wants more, just pm me their email address and I can send you all you want. Oh, and it does not come with a trailer, ballast or perfect pass. Let me know if you have any other questions as it seems that I now know more than the owner, listed below.

Mike Woods
205-837-9445

Last edited by CC2MC; 07-30-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:46 PM
MC Devotee

More Pics: The last pic shows part of the 3' of spider cracks in the gel on the stbd side.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:49 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
That's rough.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Such a shame that people can neglect their things like this, especially these boats.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:33 PM
MC Devotee

Unfortunately, more times than not, there are so many "boaters" out there that just don't have the same appreciation for boats as most on this forum, no matter what kind of boat they own. They simply buy a boat and are on their merry way. There is no formal training on what to do now that you are a boat owner. Sure it comes with a manual and it says some basic things, but how many people even read that? I think if I had a dealership, I would offer a class on some boating basics so at least the customer would be more aware of how to operate and treat a boat. At least do that for the first time boat owners, but there are way too many current boat owners too that could use a good class. They offer something similar for motorcycles and you get a discount on insurance after taking the class. Why not the same thing for boats? My wife tells me that I am anal when it comes to my vehicles, especially my boat, so maybe it is just me that thinks this way, but I doubt it.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: shopping
Given there are a lot of repairs needed, how much would a new prop and steering cable run in addition to the 1500+/- for the fiber glass? I think someone looking for a budget boat would be able to get this thing up and running for around 13,000 if they would take 10,000 for it.

Deal with the upholstery and not having a radio for a season and upgrade that in the off season and you could still be under 18K with a good boat. Assuming there are no mechanical issues. Were you able to crank it up?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:52 PM
MC Devotee

I did not crank it as I did not want to put it in the water, but the mechanic told me that someone else came and looked at the boat and he lowered it into the water and cranked it up but did not let him take it for a spin given the damage. The mechanic claims it runs great. The prop should be able to be reworked for around $200 or less. A new Steering cable is about $150 or so for the part. The fiberglass work was for the bottom only and not the entire boat which is what had all the spider cracks in addition to the deck. You are right though. Someone could get into a good running boat for a decent price, assuming they can live with the rest of the damage. The trailer I found was a single axle for $2500 in North GA, so add at least $2k. If I were to buy the boat, I would not have even offered $10k, but that is just me. The good news is that the bilge pump and blower both worked. I did not bother checking the lights to see if they were operational or not. I made a spread sheet with everything that I would do to it and it was going to come out to just over $20k.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:32 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
I made a spread sheet with everything that I would do to it and it was going to come out to just over $20k

Wow! For $20k you'd be better off finding something better taken care of!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:48 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
I made a spread sheet with everything that I would do to it and it was going to come out to just over $20k

Wow! For $20k you'd be better off finding something better taken care of!
Which is why I passed.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Which is why I passed.
Sorry! didn't mean you specifically as you stated you passed for good reason! but that the person selling must be totally unrealistic as to what it is worth and cost to fix everything (not sure what you could do to fix the spider cracks?). It looks to be > $10K in repairs that would be needed (without considering the labor cost! if you didn't do alot of the work yourself) and you are left with a boat that has questionable maintenance history, documented abuse and/or poor boat operator skills at the price of a pristine, well maintained boat pampered it's whole life!

Just to be curious, what were they asking for it?