Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-30-2013, 04:45 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
Sorry about the treadjack djr.....

Jim, I've told her to video it on her phone when it happens again. Then at least a mechanic can actually hear what it's doing.

When it occured, I openned the engine cover to watch it continue to not start. All of these problems are still occuring while the engine cover is wide open.....blower also being used prior to starting as well.
Carb, or EFI? If carb, it definitely could be vapor lock- can you verify that gas is going into the intake? With TBI, this is as easy as it it had a carb. If you see no gas being delivered, make sure the pump is activating when the key is turned to ON.

Has any work been done on the engine, other than oil changes and minor stuff like that?
Old 07-30-2013, 05:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Carb, or EFI? If carb, it definitely could be vapor lock- can you verify that gas is going into the intake? With TBI, this is as easy as it it had a carb. If you see no gas being delivered, make sure the pump is activating when the key is turned to ON.

Has any work been done on the engine, other than oil changes and minor stuff like that?
It's a EFI, Mercury Scorpion 330HP engine. I think that's sequential injection, not TBI if I recall.

I'll check with her on the fuel pump turning on with key before start-up.

Nothing major on engine other than a few minor tune-up parts (plug, cap, rotor, fuel filter). However he did install a new alternator and possibly a new grounding wire......however, it was still behaving this way prior to his repairs.

1994 205, LT1
Old 07-30-2013, 05:38 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
It's a EFI, Mercury Scorpion 330HP engine. I think that's sequential injection, not TBI if I recall.

I'll check with her on the fuel pump turning on with key before start-up.

Nothing major on engine other than a few minor tune-up parts (plug, cap, rotor, fuel filter). However he did install a new alternator and possibly a new grounding wire......however, it was still behaving this way prior to his repairs.
Someone needs to verify fuel pressure and quality, as well as spark, when it won't start. I have seen ground wires that were loose/broken and when the engine compartment temperature was high, the wires relaxed, breaking contact with the block and when it cooled, it was fine. Could be a connector that's doing the same thing.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Thanks Jim for the help. I just wish the boat was in front of me to get this thing resolved. I helped her pick the boat out so I feel slightly responsible that it's not performing 100%.

1994 205, LT1
Old 07-30-2013, 08:22 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Thanks Jim for the help. I just wish the boat was in front of me to get this thing resolved. I helped her pick the boat out so I feel slightly responsible that it's not performing 100%.
I don't know why you would feel responsible for the problems- Cobalt is a very good boat although I'm not as familiar with Mercruiser as I was.

You could call the Mercruiser tech support department, too- they'll want the engine and transmission serial numbers (inboard, right?), or engine, gimbal, outdrive serial numbers if it's a stern drive.

Tags
throttle position sensor, transmission