Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 215, 2011
Smile Practice, practice, practice....4th Session Trying to Learn

Okay, so it was back up on the ski this weekend, trying to digest ALL of your helpful critiques. Things I tried to focus on:

1) shortened the rope to 15' off. At first it felt like I was trying to ski in a washing machine when I was pulling up.
2) tried to think about flexing at the ankle and placing more weight on my front foot. I thought I manage to get this done. But, after watching the video I see that my front binding is STILL up out of the water.
3) late in the ride, I remember that ya'll said to look at the tow pole instead of off into the distance and I think that helped me crossing the wake more than anything.

The aspect that shocked me the most when I viewed the video was on the water...it felt like I was really getting on my edge at times and that I was flying through the wake. However, upon viewing the video...that's not what I saw. As I'm watching, I'm thinking to myself, "Why do I find this intimidating...it doesn't look intimidating". It just felt SO much FASTER in real life.

I placed my comments in the video to try to describe what I was feeling at that moment. I appreciate any feedback you can provide. It has been tremendous help trying to implement it. I'm most comfortable on traveling on the port side but uncomfortable getting on my edge from that side, heading to the starboard side. Not sure if it shows in the video but I'm ALWAYS uncomfortable on the starboard side (I call this my toe side). I always high tail it out of there if things get shaky. Funny thing is, in the video, I think I look in better form on that side (IMO).

http://youtu.be/wnCFRqorl_w

Okay--ya'll have at it!!!!!

I LOVE my Mastercraft! - It's Never Too Late!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:29 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Sorry if i miss this info but what ski and size are you on...
Old 07-29-2013, 11:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '96 205 TBI
You are reducing your edge as you get close to the wake then coming back more on edge when you get to the other side. If you suddenly add weight to your front foot you will effectively stall/brake as you are putting more surface in contact with the water. You've got some better cuts at about 1m into the vid. Try stringing them together so you can build up a rhythm rather than cutting then hanging off to the side then cutting back. It's also a confidence thing, the more progressive a cut and the longer you stay on edge the easier you'll cross the wakes but it takes some getting used to and practice, practice...
Old 07-29-2013, 11:49 AM
TT Regular

It's a HO Couture X Freeride 2013-and it's 65". I got it for my birthday on July 5th. I've never skied before so I can't compare it to anything. But, I can tell you that it feels nice pulling up and stable in bad situations. But, it also feels quick on the draw if I get on an edge hard. IMO

Old 07-29-2013, 01:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
We're headed out tomorrow morning...I'll have my boat.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
From what I could tell (and remember), you're LFF...

observations:

1. You pull out significantly wider on the port side of the boat. this makes u narrowER on that side, which in the long run will always put you in 'catch up mode' if you were in a course

2. your wake crossings, your ski is still headed in the same direction of the boat... It needs to be cross course, not down course

3. i agree with the previous opinion that you're pulling towards the other side, letting off and losing your angle, then pulling again once you get to the other side... it's ONE motion behind the boat, and you have to commit to the position way before that

I will say, you have made a bit of improvement, keep it up and post more vids as you progress

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 07-29-2013, 04:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
Is that a slalom grip, over/under or both hand over the handle
Slalom skiing as like a tug of war with the boat, looks like the boats winning
Practice cutting out away from the boat where you're at least 4 and 8 o'clock 6 being directly behind the boat, you're 5 and 7, then roll the ski on edge, hold that edge all the way to the opposite side then roll the ski on edge again heading back across the wake, hold edge back to the other side. Repeat, if your ski is flat crossing your wake you're gonna catch air
Don't forget applying weight to the front foot slows down the ski and applying weight to the back foot accelerates the ski
Old 07-29-2013, 04:20 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
From what I could tell (and remember), you're LFF...

observations:

1. You pull out significantly wider on the port side of the boat. this makes u narrowER on that side, which in the long run will always put you in 'catch up mode' if you were in a course

2. your wake crossings, your ski is still headed in the same direction of the boat... It needs to be cross course, not down course

3. i agree with the previous opinion that you're pulling towards the other side, letting off and losing your angle, then pulling again once you get to the other side... it's ONE motion behind the boat, and you have to commit to the position way before that

I will say, you have made a bit of improvement, keep it up and post more vids as you progress
#2 is clearly evident to me in the video....however, it was NOT apparent to me in real time. I guess because I still have SO much anxiety about that wake. I also think that while skiing... I've misinterpreted rope tension into being on my edge. And it's a real good validation for having someone video you so you can actually see what you're doing. I truly felt that I was on more of an edge that I actually was AND I felt like I was hauling butt at 28 mph.

Your description of being cross course, not down course is really going to stick with me on my next ski session. For some reason, that has made perfect sense and now I just have to suck it up, commit to it and do it!

Any wisdom on why my ski is still bouncing so bad at times? It's like it gets started and then will not stop even if I say to myself, step onto your front foot more. I do not think it's all water conditions.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:26 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
Is that a slalom grip, over/under or both hand over the handle
Slalom skiing as like a tug of war with the boat, looks like the boats winning
Practice cutting out away from the boat where you're at least 4 and 8 o'clock 6 being directly behind the boat, you're 5 and 7, then roll the ski on edge, hold that edge all the way to the opposite side then roll the ski on edge again heading back across the wake, hold edge back to the other side. Repeat, if your ski is flat crossing your wake you're gonna catch air
Don't forget applying weight to the front foot slows down the ski and applying weight to the back foot accelerates the ski
I didn't realize I was supposed to have a "slalom grip"...I have both hands over the handle.

My ski does catch air and that is mentally what has me backed off my edge at the wake....I didn't realize that I was actually making it worse on myself. All I could envision was jumping W2W on that narrow ski!!!!!

Envisioning the clock will certainly help for reference points.

Ya'll always have good eyes and do a good job of explaining.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJ View Post
Okay, so it was back up on the ski this weekend, trying to digest ALL of your helpful critiques. Things I tried to focus on:

1) shortened the rope to 15' off.!
First mistake.

Until you get the basics down of technique, timing, and rhythm, you're doing more harm than good..... Stay on a 75 ft line at a slow(er) speed until you complete a clean pass more than once...

$0.02 .......... Take it or leave it....

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767