Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 06-03-2012, 07:49 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 X2
X2 Carpet

The carpet in my 2007 X2 looks good,but the rubber backing is degrading/"crumbling". It is a snap in carpet. Does anyone know of a product such as a rubberized paint of some sort to "seal" the backing? Any resource for a replacement carpet, other than MC dealer? Thanks for any thoughts!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
ME too

I asked this question a while ago and got basically no response. I was thinking of truck bed coating on the underside of the carpeting but got responses like dont spay that on your boat. My carpet is fine but the rubber crumbling makes a mess just about everyday.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:58 AM
TT Newbie

I thought about trying Rustoleum Leak Sealer, which is like a rubberized paint, to sort of create a new bottom surface. Not sure if it will stick to boat floor though...even after it "sets up"?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Any resource for a replacement carpet, other than MC dealer? Thanks for any thoughts!
Corinthian Marine http://www.corinthian-marine-carpet.com/ can do it for you. I think they have a template for your boat. They were closing out some gray carpet a couple of winters ago and I paid $250 for the two pieces for my X-2. I think regular price was around $450. The backing they use on their carpet won't crumble like the carpet you have now. I've seen people using Plasti Dip for just about everything else-cheap enough to give it a try.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:07 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the tip. Funny thing is...I went to Lowe's to find the Rustoleum, but they didn't have it. I found the Plasti-Dip instead and tried it last PM. So far seems to be working well. If not tho, I'll try the website you suggested.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X-15
http://www.plastidip.com/
Old 07-29-2013, 12:41 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 MasterCraft X2
Holding Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
I found the Plasti-Dip instead and tried it last PM. So far seems to be working well.
How is the Plasti-Dip holding up?

Did you spray the whole bottom or just the problem areas?

Hate the thought of moving it knowing it will be a mess, but with the carpet itself in good shape hate to not use and risk stubbing another toe on the snaps!

Wish it could be just left in the boat, because with the boat on a lift now, it's not as easy to pull it up and let it dry in the garage.

Thinking of just replacing it with seadek? The stuff rocks on the swim deck and how easy it would be to maintain.

Tags
x2 carpet