Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2013, 09:34 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 83 S&S
84 Stars & Stripes

Hello all,

Finally pulled enough cash together to restore some old stars & stripes that deserves to be out on water again. So I've been hunting for the last few months now and haven't the perfect candidate yet. I did find one today that meets my requirements but I think it's overpriced by about $2K (he's asking $4K.) Here's what he said about it:

"351 W Ford engine and power slot transmission. We wore it out, plus moisture got in a cylinder after the last trip to Lake Superior 8/2008, so in 2009 I lifted the engine and power slot tranny out to begin repairs.....but then we got a new boat and never completed the repairs. It needs the engine finished & reinstalled, along with the transmission which worked fine when removed. Upholstery is worn out. The engine block was taken to Pasco Auto Machine shop where it was hot tanked, checked for cracks and the cylinders were re-bored & new cam bearings were installed. Paid $288.27 on 5/15/09. The cylinder heads were also taken there; hot tanked and checked for cracks, resurfaced both heads and rebuilt them including a new exhaust valve and oil seals. Paid $293.89 08/17/09."

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images