Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-26-2013, 09:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Thank JimN for looking it up in his service manual and the OP for posting it. Great info for everyone.
When did I do that?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:22 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
Of the two I found, the Craftsman was 25-250 in-lb which I liked, but it is huge...so long that it may not be usable in the space

You sure that wasn't a ft/lb model? They are usually only 12" long
The in-lb are smaller than ft-lb wrenches. A 250 ft-lb torque wrench is close to 2' long- how many people could actually pull with 250lb on a 1' wrench? With a 2' wrench, they only need to pull with 125 lb.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC 2006 XSTAR, MCX VRS 350HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
Of the two I found, the Craftsman was 25-250 in-lb which I liked, but it is huge...so long that it may not be usable in the space

You sure that wasn't a ft/lb model? They are usually only 12" long
Yes. 25-250 in-lbs. adjustable in 1in-lb increments. It's almost 15" long and 3lbs. I wonder if I could get down in there to use it.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:55 AM
TT Regular

Boat: X2 '06 MCX
'06 X2 with 340hrs, Fuel pump died today with a boatload of teenagers... would have been a long tow back to the moorage... Thanks to this thread, I had an Airtex 2044 and tools on hand... back up and running within 90 minutes. (Also thanks to the Moomba guy who offered a tow and checked on repair progress multiple times. It is my turn to pay it forward)
Old 07-27-2013, 07:05 PM
TT Regular

Guys, mixed success unfortunately. Electrically everything seems fine. I am getting power to the pump module; I replaced the pump with the 2044, and I also replaced the filter. Reassembled and have fuel pressure. Couple of downsides, I am measuring 70 psi at the fuel rail. The fuel pressure test gauge is new; $45 at autozone. I get 70 at prime then back to zero after a couple of seconds. It is 70 when idling and 70 if I engage the throttle and accelerate. However I did not want to run it anymore in case 70 psi was going to cause any issue to the system. The other anomaly that is not good is that after it sits for a few minutes, I have to prime the system with key on about 3 times to get the pressure back up to start. It again goes to 70 psi.

This was harsh. Hoped to be back out on the water. Have y'all seen anything like this?

Thx.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:11 PM
TT Regular

Could the regulator have gone bad as well? It's not staying primed and its not regulating to 58....
Old 07-27-2013, 08:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
Check Grainger or McMaster Carr they have multiple torque wrenches. If you order from Grainger you normally get it the next day. We have very small torque wrenches at work, you can also get one for smaller applications like this one that are small and easy to work with.

here is a nice small unit

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SK-...-Wrench-22P024
Old 07-27-2013, 08:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushyCreekXS View Post
Guys, mixed success unfortunately. Electrically everything seems fine. I am getting power to the pump module; I replaced the pump with the 2044, and I also replaced the filter. Reassembled and have fuel pressure. Couple of downsides, I am measuring 70 psi at the fuel rail. The fuel pressure test gauge is new; $45 at autozone. I get 70 at prime then back to zero after a couple of seconds. It is 70 when idling and 70 if I engage the throttle and accelerate. However I did not want to run it anymore in case 70 psi was going to cause any issue to the system. The other anomaly that is not good is that after it sits for a few minutes, I have to prime the system with key on about 3 times to get the pressure back up to start. It again goes to 70 psi.

This was harsh. Hoped to be back out on the water. Have y'all seen anything like this?

Thx.
Look at the regulator on the pump- it's the original one, right? Does the pressure drop at all while the engine is running? Also, make sure to use the purge valve on the pressure gauge- it removes air from the line/gauge. While it's connected, take a fuel sample- it will give you the sample AND purge the tester. Look for another one at the fuel rail- post some photos of the fuel rail, Shrader valve and anything else that seems like it may be pertinent.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushyCreekXS View Post

Thx.
Replaced mine ('06 X30) with the 2044 a couple weeks ago and I am seeing the same issue with hard starting after sitting a while - don't know what the pressure is as I have not checked it, but first time off the trailer and after sitting for lunch it is hard to start. It fires right up after changing skiers.
???
Old 07-27-2013, 09:13 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
When did I do that?
The OP gave you credit for looking it up.

BTW: 49 inch pounds = 4 foot pounds and I don't know of many foot pound torque wrenches that go that low.