Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2013, 06:16 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 X-45
Send a message via AIM to ConroePat
Okay, it's still dark here this morning and I must have been snoring as my wife is sleeping in another bedroom. So, I have time to post what I found on the forum for others to use. I believe this link shows what I was inquiring about: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ghlight=rudder
Old 07-24-2013, 12:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X-30 6.0L Red w/Silver Flake
You can tell if you have hydraulic steering by looking for a cap on your dashboard to the right of your steering wheel where you fill a reservoir with hydraulic fluid.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:11 AM
TT Newbie

I have some lessons learned to share with the group here. On my boat, to drop the rudder shaft, first remove the cotter pin (obvious), but then also completely remove the bolt securing the steering arm onto the rudder shaft (not so obvious as the dealer had said to simply loosen it). I put a floor jack under the rudder to prevent it from falling out. My rudder was bone dry which was the cause of the slight play in the rudder and the stiff steering under load.

Here are the steps I took:

1) Put a floor jack under the rudder with just enough pressure to keep in place
2) Remove the cotter pin on top of the shaft
3) Remove the nut and bolt securing the steering arm to the rudder shaft
4) Drop the rudder (mine was so dry that I still had to pull it out)
5) Pack bearing grease (NOT WATERPROOF GREASE) into the rudder port (housing), and grease the rudder shaft
6) Push the rudder back into the housing, the excess grease will come out the bottom and top of the housing
7) Clean the excess grease, especially around the top of the shaft where the steering arm will clamp the shaft
8) Reconnect the steering arm, checking the alignment of the arm with the steering wheel to more or less center the steering wheel with the rudder in a 90 degree position with the transom
9) Tighten nut and bolt and replace the cotter pin.

This solved my steering problem. Your boat could be somewhat different as I did not have a grease zerk to do this without dropping the rudder. I understand many other boats have a grease zerk. On my boat, the only thing keeping close tolerance in the rudder housing is the grease. Since mine was bone dry, there was enough play in the rudder that under load, the steering became extremely stiff. Now my resolve may be short lived since it is possible that my housing is now damaged from operating without a proper greasing for so long. As I mentioned, I just bought this boat and I am going through it. For now, my steering is fine but if it gets stiff again, I will probably replace the port (housing). Bottom line, if a boat steers fine on the trailer or at idle around the docks, there is nothing wrong with the cable. If it steers stiff under load only, it is most likely a rudder problem.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
Our rudders are different. Wonder if or when you need to change the rudder box if you can swap it out with one like mine....with zerk fitting to grease. What is strange is my boat is a 2001 and yours is newer. I almost replaced my steering cable and if I had done this I would have frustrated with the same problem. Glad you got er fixed! You would think the dealer would have known better.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:41 AM
TT Newbie

Exactly, I was amazed that the dealer didn't take care of this, and so was the former owner who actually paid for the boat to be gone through. This was our agreement for the sale. As far as replacing the rudder box, I would think I should be able to get one with a zerk fitting. There is really nothing to it in the design. Also, I don't know how long my fix will last since the rudder had been dry for so long, it may have damaged the rudder box. As long as the grease stays in place, my steering will be smooth. The grease has taken all the play out the rudder. This is really where the dealer failed to properly diagnose the problem; all they would have had to do was wiggle the rudder to observe the amount of play and they should have known that under load, it would cause the steering to be stiff.

I really appreciate all the feedback, this is a great forum. My X45 is now steering smoothly.