Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-23-2013, 09:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
advice on outdoor trailer storage

put my x2 in a slip this year and it will stay there year round. the marina where I am at will store my trailer also. what advice do you guys have to try to keep the trailer in nice condition.

thanks!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
sorry forgot I will be using the trailer twice a year for trips to table rock and maybe the dealer for service should it be something I can't handle.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
I am on vacation and noticed today that most are covering the winch with a 5 gallon bucket. I would guess you could come up with something better to cover it but that is one item I would cover.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
I stored a trailer at a marina (not my mastercraft) and you better be sure the trailer lot isn't somewhere that can flood... My trailer sat under water for MONTHs and it was a mess afterwards...

Make sure the trailer has a nice lock on it too! Tongue and spare... I'd back the lock up with something to secure the trailer from moving...

Take the license plate off too

I am fairly certain people cruise those lots looking for free trailers...

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 07-24-2013, 04:27 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Get tire covers like the RV guys use. Always a good thing, but since yours will be sitting in the same spot so much it will really save your tires.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I'm sure some will think my crazy but once a year I pull mine home and flush the brake fluid (started doing this this year after seeing the condition of the brake fluid) and wax the trailer twice a year. I change the bearing oil every other year and pull the calipers off and grease the slides and use anti squeal on the pads. I also hit all the pivot points on the brake actuator, coupler and bearing surfaces on the winch with WD40 during this maintenance routine and before pulling for any trip. Air pressure is checked before any pull longer than 50 miles and during every maintenance cycle along with torqueing all the lug nuts including the ones for the spare (for some reason the spare comes loose).
Old 07-24-2013, 09:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
I know your in the tire industry- Will putting the trailer on blocks help get some additional life out of the tires? - Along with covering them of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Get tire covers like the RV guys use. Always a good thing, but since yours will be sitting in the same spot so much it will really save your tires.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
I'm sure some will think my crazy but once a year I pull mine home and flush the brake fluid (started doing this this year after seeing the condition of the brake fluid) and wax the trailer twice a year. I change the bearing oil every other year and pull the calipers off and grease the slides and use anti squeal on the pads. I also hit all the pivot points on the brake actuator, coupler and bearing surfaces on the winch with WD40 during this maintenance routine and before pulling for any trip. Air pressure is checked before any pull longer than 50 miles and during every maintenance cycle along with torqueing all the lug nuts including the ones for the spare (for some reason the spare comes loose).
Want to borrow my trailer for a week or two?

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
If possible place it in the woods for shade. I have a friend that does this with his and has for years and his trailer still looks new.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmikler View Post
I know your in the tire industry- Will putting the trailer on blocks help get some additional life out of the tires? - Along with covering them of course.
It won't hurt, but realistically, your tires will wear out from exposure to air long before you will ever wear out your tread. Bias ply tires will flat spot but radial tires don't have this tendency.

If you tow your boat any distance, fight the urge to run your trailer tires beyond five seasons. Much better to buy new tires and sell the old tires on craigslist. Trailer tires with tread always sell there regardless of tire age.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com