Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 07-23-2013, 06:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
Thats cause she's used to burying the front edge of her wakeboard and catapulting face 1st into the drink

Sorry for laughing, but that was funny. Just sayin...

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: N/A
Nice skiing!

A few thoughts

As already mentioned you're definitely back on the ski and working with a straight front leg a lot. That's ok and pretty common; just keep working on moving your weight forward on the ski and getting comfortable/confident. You'll feel like you have almost all your weight on your front foot and that's ok. Everything feels exaggerated back there so what feels like almost all your weight is probably about right.

In terms of the straight front leg, try this. Stand up in your slalom stance, weight mostly on your back foot, and a straight front leg. Now think about bending your front knee. You have a bent knee now but do you still feel like most of your weight is on the back foot? Now get back in the original stance, and instead of thinking about bending your front knee, think about bending your front ankle. Your knee automatically bends and your weight has to shift more forward.

In order to 'glide' properly you want to be free of the boat and that means going about the same speed or even slightly faster. You don't want a lot of slack on the line, but you want to be free from the pull of the boat. (mentioning b/c you commented like you felt you were ahead of the boat, which isn't necessarily bad, but can be some times ) But notice on some of your pullouts, as soon as you stood up out of your lean you started getting pulled back in by the boat.

Ski porpoising - I'm not really an expert here but I'd guess it's at least somewhat related being so heavy on the back foot combined with the slower speed so it's sinking a bit. Maybe related to the size too? While you're at Coble's don't be afraid to ask about your ski, they can get it set up or provide recommendations if you want to try something else. You're right to question it though that's an indication that something is off.

Wake crossings - As mentioned this is something to build up over time. Start just barely outside the wake so you don't feel as fast. Over time build up a little wider & wider, eventually you want to do it from as wide as you are on pullouts (or wider). It sounds weird now but eventually crossing the wake faster in the strong position will feel a lot easier than trying to plow through it.

Your comment said 65' rope, is that a wakeboard(spectra) rope? Normally a slalom rope would be 75' (long line), or 60' (15 off). If you're using a spectra line you might think about getting a slalom rope/handle since you actually do want a little bit of stretch there. If you do get one, ski at the 60'/15 off (red) section.

You're looking pretty good so just keep at it and don't get discouraged. Improvements take a lot of time so just enjoy the journey

Get some gloves!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 215, 2011
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post

Sorry for laughing, but that was funny. Just sayin...
Ya'll are EXACTLY right!!!!! One doesn't easily forgot a bad face plant...just saying....

I LOVE my Mastercraft! - It's Never Too Late!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 215, 2011
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Nice skiing!

A few thoughts

As already mentioned you're definitely back on the ski and working with a straight front leg a lot. That's ok and pretty common; just keep working on moving your weight forward on the ski and getting comfortable/confident. You'll feel like you have almost all your weight on your front foot and that's ok. Everything feels exaggerated back there so what feels like almost all your weight is probably about right.

In terms of the straight front leg, try this. Stand up in your slalom stance, weight mostly on your back foot, and a straight front leg. Now think about bending your front knee. You have a bent knee now but do you still feel like most of your weight is on the back foot? Now get back in the original stance, and instead of thinking about bending your front knee, think about bending your front ankle. Your knee automatically bends and your weight has to shift more forward.

In order to 'glide' properly you want to be free of the boat and that means going about the same speed or even slightly faster. You don't want a lot of slack on the line, but you want to be free from the pull of the boat. (mentioning b/c you commented like you felt you were ahead of the boat, which isn't necessarily bad, but can be some times ) But notice on some of your pullouts, as soon as you stood up out of your lean you started getting pulled back in by the boat.

Ski porpoising - I'm not really an expert here but I'd guess it's at least somewhat related being so heavy on the back foot combined with the slower speed so it's sinking a bit. Maybe related to the size too? While you're at Coble's don't be afraid to ask about your ski, they can get it set up or provide recommendations if you want to try something else. You're right to question it though that's an indication that something is off.

Wake crossings - As mentioned this is something to build up over time. Start just barely outside the wake so you don't feel as fast. Over time build up a little wider & wider, eventually you want to do it from as wide as you are on pullouts (or wider). It sounds weird now but eventually crossing the wake faster in the strong position will feel a lot easier than trying to plow through it.

Your comment said 65' rope, is that a wakeboard(spectra) rope? Normally a slalom rope would be 75' (long line), or 60' (15 off). If you're using a spectra line you might think about getting a slalom rope/handle since you actually do want a little bit of stretch there. If you do get one, ski at the 60'/15 off (red) section.

You're looking pretty good so just keep at it and don't get discouraged. Improvements take a lot of time so just enjoy the journey

Get some gloves!
Patrick---thank you so much for taking the time to critique. It's a lot to digest and I appreciate the way your descriptions so that I can feel what you're talking about. I can't wait to get back on the water this weekend to try again. I've gotten completely obsessed with it!

I LOVE my Mastercraft! - It's Never Too Late!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:17 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Hi LIsa I got one of these - 40x zoom - so the observer can shoot your ski and you can see exactly what your doing.. I got mine on ebay for $99.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2013, 10:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
I'm looking at getting one of these for taping my skiing: http://theskidoc.com/ski-doc-camera-mount.htm along with a cheap camera or iPhone tripod mount adapter. No observer needed
Old 07-24-2013, 12:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
IMO, you can wakeboard easier in a little chop. As I've gotten older (52) a little chop is OK on a ski but not nearly as much fun as smooth water. It seems less tiring and easier to link turns, etc. on a nice, calm water run. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the conditions can also impact how you feel and maybe how much progess you can make quickly.

I can't speak for everyone here, but I can't stand it when the driver doesn't hold a straight line. Again, it doesn't bother me so much on a wakeboard, but on my ski even a little deviation by the driver makes me crazy (unless of course, they have to change direction for safety). Have your driver pick a point and hold a straight line to it - signal when he needs to turn - and then have make a run down the opposite way. Anyway, this is the way my wife and I drive for each other.

I hope to get to Coble next June as a Father's Day gift
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 07-24-2013, 12:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLVMI View Post
I'm looking at getting one of these for taping my skiing: http://theskidoc.com/ski-doc-camera-mount.htm along with a cheap camera or iPhone tripod mount adapter. No observer needed
I'll be curious to see a video of it... I know my old school pylon mount made it look like the skier was being shot by a laser (which was the rope)

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 07-24-2013, 12:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
I'll be curious to see a video of it... I know my old school pylon mount made it look like the skier was being shot by a laser (which was the rope)
Ask and you shall receive...the guy at Ball of Spray did a comparison w/ the Ski-Doc and the Wakeye mounts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWhoJRnN06w
Old 07-24-2013, 01:24 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Put on my markers for where rope needs to be for 15 and 22 off... - now to get on water... both sides of course... "Ski it up!"
Attached Images