Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 07-23-2013, 04:09 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
it seems to me based on what i saw that you really are scared of the wake... it also seems that you are tail riding it pretty bad.

the width is not your issue, that will help you in the long run in a slalom course. The reason you're getting so much speed is that well.. lets pretend you were in a slalom course... it's what we'd calling pulling @ the buoy... The 'work' is supposed to be done behind the boat, from 'white water to white water...' that way when you cross the 2nd wake, you've broken free of the boat.

If you can put more weight on the front of the ski, this puts more of it in the water, slowing the pass down... riding the tail will not allow you to get those sweet turns... putting more weight on the front of the ski will also help get your hips forward... try squeezing your butt cheeks together.

youtube is blocked here at work, so i had to look at your vid on my cell, i cant tell - are you LFF or RFF?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJ View Post
LFF just like on wakeboard. Do you think that's why my ski bounces (porpoises on me sometimes). I think what I was doing in the video was bending my knee/ankle but not distributing my weight to my front foot. I was very aware that when I started out my front left leg was straight and rigid and I remembered "the stance" in the video drill and was trying to mimic it. And I understand what you saying the work is behind to boat and I should be broke free by the time I cross the second wake.

My next question is, I really use the small triangle area in front of the handle (I stick my ski inside of it when I pull up to hold my ski steady). When I get a new rope, it probably will not have that. Should I put the rope on the left or right side of my ski and will it make it difficult to get up?
I am in no way going to be able to add to this conversation but I agree with Rat, and the one thing I noticed right off the bat, was that the weight was all on the back of the ski and the front was sticking way up (tail riding). Not sure what to tell you to do.

Great progress and keep it up!

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-23-2013, 04:19 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
When the ski bounces, it's because you are 'short pulling' AKA not pulling across both wakes. Hold the pull longer, it will save you from more OTF wipeouts...

On the get up, I am RFF and the rope is on the left side of the ski. I think LFF would still be the same.

On your drills, do them on land between ski days... On he water, practice pulling out wide and leaning against the boat.... just hold that pull to get a feel for it.... knees bent, wrms straight, hips up...
On deep water start LFF - rope on right... always should be opposite of what is forward...allows for a squared off start...
Old 07-23-2013, 04:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Being LFF... When you cross the wake from left to right (port to starboard)... Try looking at the center pylon until you cross both wakes... that will help ALOT... helps keep shoulders pointed at boat, knees pointed at shore... it should feel twisted, like you're trying to pop your lower back...

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 07-23-2013, 04:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 215, 2011
Red face

Quote:
Being LFF... When you cross the wake from left to right (port to starboard)... Try looking at the center pylon until you cross both wakes... that will help ALOT... helps keep shoulders pointed at boat, knees pointed at shore... it should feel twisted, like you're trying to pop your lower back...
Thanks...I knew that I didn't need to look at the wake but I didn't really know where to look but the shoreline or tree tops...anything but that wake. LOL I'll try that Friday evening.

I LOVE my Mastercraft! - It's Never Too Late!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:31 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Thanks...I knew that I didn't need to look at the wake but I didn't really know where to look but the shoreline or tree tops...anything but that wake. LOL I'll try that Friday evening.
face your fears... only then free you will be...... skywalker...
......Yoda!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:34 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Actually, what u do not want to do is look at where you want to go... example... if you are on a slalom course and you're looking ahead to the next buoy, you'll ski TO the buoy, when you really need to ski 15-20 ahead of it so the ski finishes @ the buoy...

looking at the pylon "magically" makes u wider and earlier through the off side.

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Quote:
I had my best turns doing this today...and my lower back is feeling it! We went out this morning, 7-10mph winds right through the course (thinking we need to relocate). I actually have some video I can share as well, just need to run it through iMovie for effect
Old 07-23-2013, 05:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Thumbs up

I'm thinking soft knees, eyes either on the pylon, the horizon or across the bow of the boat. Anywhere but down or locked on the buoy (when you get to that point). Might try to bring the handle down closer to your waste. You're doing great!! Ski it up!! Have fun!!!!!! Confidence and ability will come with time on the water. You can tweak it as you go.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
To elaborate on the riding the tail. The water should be breaking around the front of your front binding. On your video, most of the time, you are on your tail so much that your front binding/foot is completely out of the water.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:07 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
To elaborate on the riding the tail. The water should be breaking around the front of your front binding. On your video, most of the time, you are on your tail so much that your front binding/foot is completely out of the water.
Thats cause she's used to burying the front edge of her wakeboard and catapulting face 1st into the drink