Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2013, 04:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
Salt Series?

Anyone do more salt use than fresh?
Im shopping for a boat and I live on the ocean, but likely to use it in fresh as well. The "idea" would be to use it mostly in fresh water, but living acroiss the street from salt, you can imagine that convenience will trump all other considerations.
What should I look for in a used SS series boat, what should I be aware of if I do use it in salt?
Thansk!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X10
Let me just tell you that you should definitely go with a SS boat. Don't have a dealer try to talk you into something else. They're more expensive but pay off down the road. In my opinion, MC's salt boats are the best. They seem to be over-engineered for salt but that's a good thing. I was on a friend's X25 SS (closed cooling system) that had two years of use on it and the only corrosion I saw were two small bolts in the tower... and that came after looking it over a couple of times. If you're planning on going in saltwater, get a MC SS it'll be worth it.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks...the X25 was what Ive been shopping, and hoping to find a reaonably priced 2010-13.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Have you seen this?
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=56133
Old 07-23-2013, 11:40 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
I have access to a X25 SS that has NEVER seen salt. Send me an email and I will get you the specs and pricing ASAP

Jim@BAWS

jim.baws@verizon.net

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Old 07-24-2013, 04:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2 2008
Send a message via Skype™ to Grant777
I run my SS X-2 exclusively in salt water. And it is holding up well. Some minor galvanic corrosion on the tower, especially where the tower bonds to the hull and I had the rear aluminum cross bar that strengthens the rear lockers and engine bay re powder coated. When compared to similar boats (Malibu, Tige, nautique etc) of similar age there is no comparison - mine looks better. I think part of that is as a result of a strict cleaning regime. The raw water strainer and fresh water flush are two very useful additions to the series.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
I did, and though its a nice boat, not what Im looking for.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant777 View Post
I run my SS X-2 exclusively in salt water. And it is holding up well. Some minor galvanic corrosion on the tower, especially where the tower bonds to the hull and I had the rear aluminum cross bar that strengthens the rear lockers and engine bay re powder coated. When compared to similar boats (Malibu, Tige, nautique etc) of similar age there is no comparison - mine looks better. I think part of that is as a result of a strict cleaning regime. The raw water strainer and fresh water flush are two very useful additions to the series.
Do you keep it moored in the salt full time, or pull and wash after each use? Im always being told that once they even say "salt" or its touched it, the boats devalue an additional 10+%...I willing to live with that, more interested in exactly this - how well they weather regular salt with and without regular maintenance.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 X-15 SS
I bought mine used. It was used exclusively in salt before I bought it. Now it sees as much fresh as salt. Mine has the crusader engine, which has a steel pulley for the belt on the motor that rusts easily. I wash mine down after every saltwater use. My bimini top has a bracket that clips two of the bars together when you fold it closed. The two small brackets have been eaten up by the salt. The other place that salt eats up is the brackets holding the swim platform. Other than that, the zinc anode does its job. Remove the carpet from day one and just rinse everything down really well after every salt outing and it will keep looking sharp.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X10
just an additional comment, the X25 will handle the saltwater choppiness very well.