Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 07-07-2013, 12:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '91 PS190, 351 w/'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbeamlb View Post
Pick up one of the floatation backs for the housing. Ours will float even when attached to the head strap.
I've considered those for a while... I guess I just haven't bought one yet because they're just as big and ugly as the camera itself. Maybe I'll pick one up here if I don't like the lanyard idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
wow... sorry to read about the virus... losing a bunch of body mass that was is no fun... good you recovered...and got on the water.
Thanks, it was really weird because I rarely get sick, and if I do it usually lasts about a day or so. I tried mountain biking a few weeks ago and felt like I had never gotten exercise in my life before, lol. Anyway, today is a beautiful day, and my parents want to hit up the lake this evening after they get back from dropping off the kiddies at camp.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Due to my second shift job, I only have the weekends available to ski, and the last few weekends have been lousy weather (windy/rain). Fortunately, I'll be starting a new job that is first shift on the 29th (super pumped).

Today is the first full Saturday I've had with the old man, so we wanted to get some stuff down around here. He added a couple 2x4's to the base of the captains chair for more height since we still don't have the upholstery back.

We also decided to take a look at the carb, and to our shock, we found a modification done by a previous owner. Below is a pic of an added plate to the throttle cable. They moved the cable mounting position, so the secondary's were only opening about 2/3 of the way. Adjusted that back to stock; free horsepower!

Can't wait to try it out now, which will hopefully be tonight after Red 2 with the guys, otherwise tomorrow morning. The lake we go to is always busy during the day (and usually windy), so we either have to go just after sunrise, or before sunset. We'll be able to go right after work in another week though.....
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2013, 03:32 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Cool... I am going to see Red 2 tonight as well..... nice find on the secondaries...
Old 07-21-2013, 12:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Got a ski session in this morning before church. Was about 60 degrees when we left, and there was black clouds just south of the lake, but the water was perfect and calm. There were only some fishers out. Boat felt great and has plenty of power. Skiing was awesome, although I got whiplash a couple times, lol. The old man says he needs to work out.

We need to re-pack the trailer bearings this week, and the tach stopped and started working today. Maybe something was bumped when moving the throttle cable back. Otherwise there really isn't any more mechanical work needed this year. I think I'll start working on the cosmetics soon. We've got a sonoma to pull the front-end off of for an ls swap though, so that may end out the weekend...
Old 07-21-2013, 12:39 PM

nothing like walking on water - before church...
Old 07-21-2013, 12:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

I see what you did there...
Old 07-21-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxhideout View Post
Got a ski session in this morning before church. Was about 60 degrees when we left, and there was black clouds just south of the lake, but the water was perfect and calm. There were only some fishers out. Boat felt great and has plenty of power. Skiing was awesome, although I got whiplash a couple times, lol. The old man says he needs to work out.

We need to re-pack the trailer bearings this week, and the tach stopped and started working today. Maybe something was bumped when moving the throttle cable back. Otherwise there really isn't any more mechanical work needed this year. I think I'll start working on the cosmetics soon. We've got a sonoma to pull the front-end off of for an ls swap though, so that may end out the weekend...
Whiplash? check out the Gordon Rathbun Drills on Youtube.. I actually bought the DVD.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
How are you liking that prop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 07-21-2013, 11:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Whiplash? check out the Gordon Rathbun Drills on Youtube.. I actually bought the DVD.
Yeah, I like landed on the wake on my back or something when trying to cross it and I felt my neck crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
How are you liking that prop?
I like it. Although I don't have much to compare it to since this is the first ski boat I've driven, it's good for the stock 351.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Secondary Opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxhideout View Post
We also decided to take a look at the carb, and to our shock, we found a modification done by a previous owner. Below is a pic of an added plate to the throttle cable. They moved the cable mounting position, so the secondary's were only opening about 2/3 of the way. Adjusted that back to stock; free horsepower!
My carb has the same 'added plate' (black with round stud on it, pic in post #82) that the throttle cable attaches to, and pretty sure it is stock. The secondaries open via vacuum, not mechanically on that year also, correct? Vacuum on my '88 anyway. I've had issues with getting them to open previously, so was curious. Is your picture before or after you moved it? Thanks.

Last edited by MikeyOrange88; 07-22-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Tags
1991 ps 190, mastercraft, prostar 190