Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 06-28-2013, 01:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite Spike View Post
Thanks for the fast replies. I was thinking that they might prefer to have the boat to make sure everything fit right. I guess I'll talk to 02ProstarSammyD and see how his experience was...then I'll call Viper direct.
Does anyone know of a good upholstery shop in Alabama?
Yes, there is a guy on Lake Martin. He actually owns a MC 240 and has it for sale. I have not had anything done for me, but from talking with others, he does good work. I spoke with him on Monday and asked him about getting my whole boat redone and he said between $3-4k, which is probably similar to Viper. I have seen Viper's work and the amount of MC he does on a regular basis, so I would not hesitate to drive a little further to get a big job done, however, I do understand your need to find someone local. I would give the guy a call and see what he says. Depending on where in AL you are, that may be a better place for you. I am assuming you are south of Montgomery or thereabouts given the distance from Viper.

Pushwater Marine Upholstery
415 Dead Timbers Rd
Dadeville, AL 36853
256-675-0194
www.PushwaterMarine.com
Old 06-28-2013, 02:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
Thanks CC2MC, I'll definately consider Pushwater. It's certainly closer than Maryville. I really think I will just remove all the parts and take them to Viper in my truck though. Nothings going to happen until the off-season so I have a while to decide.
@Sheckski: I checked out your thread. Wow, that was a big box! What did that cost to ship???
Old 07-02-2013, 09:56 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
Thanks for the fast replies. I was thinking that they might prefer to have the boat to make sure everything fit right. I guess I'll talk to 02ProstarSammyD and see how his experience was...then I'll call Viper direct.
Does anyone know of a good upholstery shop in Alabama?
Hey sorry I missed this. I usually stalk upholstery. I did not send all my panels to viper. I was in a similar situation that you are. I am about 6 hours from viper and weighed my options. I decided to do the interior myself as far as the demo/reinstall went. I was quoted somewhere around 1000 bucks (dont quote me my memory sucks) to send them everything and reinstall. When I coupled that with gas money and the p.i.t.a to drive up there I bought a 29 dollar pneumatic stapler, 40 bucks in SS staples, a 30 dollar steamer and went to town.

If you are curious about the process please feel free to hit me up and I can walk you through it. It is not a hard process but is time consuming. I'm a tinkerer and a love to learn new things so it was an easy choice for me. I mean adding 1500 bucks to a 2400 dollar order made it easy too. I think viper does extremely good work but I can't tell the difference in my install vs anyone elses. In fact mine came out far superior to some local small piece work I had done.

The only things I had to send viper were my rear hatches because the skins did not match up between the 2 due to a crappy previous job being done. I boxed them up for like 40 bucks and sent them off.

Another member did send the whole deal to viper and when I talked to him he said he had around 400 bucks in shipping + a free crate.

PLUS if you do it yourself you get to gut your boat and clean EVERY cubby hole. I rented a steam cleaner and literally steam cleaned every nook and cranny.

Finished product

Old 07-02-2013, 07:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
Thanks for the info! I guess when the seasons over i'll give them a call and discuss the cost of installing the skins...then make up my mind.
Did you replace any of the foam? What tools did you use to get the old staples out?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:39 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
hanks for the info! I guess when the seasons over i'll give them a call and discuss the cost of installing the skins...then make up my mind.
Did you replace any of the foam? What tools did you use to get the old staples out?
I had to replace one piece of foam and that was b/c whoever reupholstered before put some chit in it so it was completely a not normal issue. The foam should be in decent shape and if not you can buy it at your local sewing store in diff thickness, strength etc. Again should not be an issue.

As for the old staples they are a pain in the butt but its just time consuming. I didn't want to send the guys at viper a bunch of vinyl with staples in it.

You'll learn alot from just pulling the staples and disassembling the skins. You get a good bit of insight on where and how to staple.

Again if you decide to take this on talk to me about it. There are a ton of lil tricks to get it done fast and right that you won't read anywhere. No sense in being like me and not learning them until I was half way through
I used a nice precision small flatblade. It makes the process fly compared to using pliers etc. You literally just pop an edge under and pull. They just fly out. Think me and the girl removed all the staples in like 1-2 hours after the skins were pulled off.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
Go to Uship.com and pay someone to haul it for you. Compare the cost of Uship with 2 round trips.

Call ahead and secure a slot in their project/production planning. They can always run into snags with other boats. Viper did my boat in 3 weeks, including a closure for the 4th of July. Would have been 2 weeks or less without the holiday, delay on getting some vinyl in stock and on the embroidery. Not bad for the middle of the summer.

For those who experienced slow process, did you coordinate with their que or just set the date to drop off?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:09 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 190, 1987, 240 HP, 1:1 trans
Send a message via Skype™ to Shane28037
I removed all the interior pieces from my 87 PS 190 and made the 4 hour trip from Lake Norman to Viper Customs. Everything fit in my Freestar van with the rear seats removed. Transportation cost me two tanks of gas for the two round-trips and I got to meet Jim and Karl and go over details for the work. Jim told me up front it would be 5-6 weeks. I just put the interior back in the boat today with no issues.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane28037 View Post
I removed all the interior pieces from my 87 PS 190 and made the 4 hour trip from Lake Norman to Viper Customs. Everything fit in my Freestar van with the rear seats removed. Transportation cost me two tanks of gas for the two round-trips and I got to meet Jim and Karl and go over details for the work. Jim told me up front it would be 5-6 weeks. I just put the interior back in the boat today with no issues.
Lets see some pics!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:16 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 190, 1987, 240 HP, 1:1 trans
Send a message via Skype™ to Shane28037
Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Lets see some pics!
Pics coming soon, waiting on speakers/grills for combing/side panels. Developing a mild case of that MCOCD thing people keep referring to.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:35 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Loking
Take the hit and get the boat too Tn. You can be assured the fit and finish will be dead on. If your waiting till winter also check into Infiniti Fabrications/Leading Edge. Did a great job on my 87 Platinum PS
865-408 1900