Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2013, 07:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
HELP, pink milk in hull

I have a 1991 PS 190 and today when I was coming off the lake I went to pull the plug and noticed transmission fluid mixed with water in the bottom of the engine compartment. It is a 1.52:1 trans and the only thing I have done lately was change the packing. I have put maybe 1.5 hrs on it since then and it was dripping well before I covered it up. Is there a seal or something on the trans that might have let loose or is it time for a rebuild?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2013, 08:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick View Post
I have a 1991 PS 190 and today when I was coming off the lake I went to pull the plug and noticed transmission fluid mixed with water in the bottom of the engine compartment. It is a 1.52:1 trans and the only thing I have done lately was change the packing. I have put maybe 1.5 hrs on it since then and it was dripping well before I covered it up. Is there a seal or something on the trans that might have let loose or is it time for a rebuild?

Thanks
Could be a front or rear trans. seal. A leaking hose/fitting. I had one, that leaked right where the fitting is attached to the hose, at the trans cooler. Dry/Clean out your bilge, put newspaper, paper towels under trans, and wait.

Your boat is over 20 years old, a rebuild is not out of the question. I just did mine, about a month ago. It's not that hard.

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Figure out where the leak is, and proceed from there. Wash down the trans with some soapy water and a brush (not a pressure washer), rinse it off, drain the bilge and let everything dry. Put some newspaper in the bilge under the transmission ( or a white sheet, or some paper towels), drop the boat in the water, run it for two minutes and see where the ATF is dripping. It might be a hose going to the cooler, it might be a front or rear seal. Once you know, the fix will be a lot more obvious.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
Thank you, I will do that in the next few days and see what I can determine.