Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 07-17-2013, 04:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierSPL View Post
So the boat's been dropped off for final odds and ends and timing.. Does anyone with similar mods have a recommendation what the timing should be set at?? (Feeling like I need to be as prescriptive as possible to the shop that's working on it..)
10 degrees BTDC.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 07-20-2013, 09:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
10 degrees BTDC.
Thx for all the help with the engine questions James!

Picked her up day before yesterday an heard it run for the first time.. Here's a quick vid:

They ran into a couple minor issues but were able to resolve and now there's a small list of things I'll need to take care of.. The alternator is toast so I'll be getting a new one in the next week or 2, and there's a very small amount of smoke/steam coming from the starboard side head/exhaust manifold.. I've read that's not unusual for a rebuilt during break-in but I'll be re-torqueing and keeping an eye on that..

Here's how she's sitting now:

I put her in yesterday afternoon and ran her at about 1000rpm for 2 hours docked before getting up the nerve to take her around the lake.. The tranny seems to be working great which was a huge relief as I had no way of testing prior.. I did notice the shaft is dripping more than I believe it should.. (between 3-5 drips/second) No big surprise there, knew it was going to have to be done.. At the end of the night after 3-4 hours of total run time I took her around the lake for a couple more laps but never saw more than 2000rpms.. My plan is to continue today just letting her run easy for the most part and by tomorrow I should be able to open it up a bit more..
I've got to say, I've only ever driven I/O so partly I'm not sure how things are supposed to feel but it all seems very stiff compared to my Sea Ray.. The first 1/4 throttle seems very easy and fluid but it feels like it hits a point where you really have to push to get into.. Not sure if that's normal.. The steering had much more resistance in turns than I expected also.. I've greased all the cable for both.. Maybe it all just needs to work the cobwebs out.. The neighbor owns a Malibu Response wants to take it for a spin today and give me his take on it, he said my description sounds about right for what he's used to though..
I'll take a longer vid today and post it..

Thanks for all the help and encouragement everyone's offered up so far!!

Last edited by XavierSPL; 07-20-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:26 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Check your exhaust hoses for internal deterioration.

The machine should not be stiff (per se). You may could stand a new steering cable or a little shot of grease on the steering rudder (or both). Stiff is unacceptable. Tight and smooth is another story...

Put fresh fluid in the transmission and you'll know for sure it is fresh...

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 07-20-2013, 12:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
My '87 had steering like you describe and grease did not solve the problem. A new steering cable made it handle like a dream though. Save it for the fall, enjoy the boat while it's in the water! Glad you've got it running.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Check your exhaust hoses for internal deterioration.

The machine should not be stiff (per se). You may could stand a new steering cabLe or a little shot of grease on the steering rudder (or both). Stiff is unacceptable. Tight and smooth is another story...

Put fresh fluid in the transmission and you'll know for sure it is fresh...
from what I've seen the inside of the exhaust looks new, I should clarify that the steering only feel stiff when I'm traveling at higher speeds, at slow speeds andnot moving it feels fine. made sure to change the transmission fluid before I put her in the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catamount View Post
My '87 had steering like you describe and grease did not solve the problem. A new steering cable made it handle like a dream though. Save it for the fall, enjoy the boat while it's in the water! Glad you've got it running.
thanks, I guess I'll be adding a cable to the list for this winter.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Had a good day yesterday with several runs. Have about 10hrs on it so far. Planning on being out a lot today as well.. Here's a vid with the kids and dogs taking a spin:

Old 07-21-2013, 12:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Sound good! That back seat in a Prostar isn't for folks that don't like water
I think there are three places to lubricate the steering. Two on the cable and one on the rudder. IIRC one of the cable fittings is just a port, not a zerk fitting and grease will also escape from this when turned fully one-way (don't remember which way). You might disconnect the rudder and clean/grease it too for good measure.
Good links on steering/rudder:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=51473
Note the picture with the grease oozing from the overflow port on the rudder - if you don't have this, yours could be caked with old grease.
With the cable disconnected you might be able to distribute the grease in the steering cable a little better.
Congrats on your work so for - great looking boat!
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
Sound good! That back seat in a Prostar isn't for folks that don't like water
I think there are three places to lubricate the steering. Two on the cable and one on the rudder. IIRC one of the cable fittings is just a port, not a zerk fitting and grease will also escape from this when turned fully one-way (don't remember which way). You might disconnect the rudder and clean/grease it too for good measure.
Good links on steering/rudder:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=51473
Note the picture with the grease oozing from the overflow port on the rudder - if you don't have this, yours could be caked with old grease.
With the cable disconnected you might be able to distribute the grease in the steering cable a little better.
Congrats on your work so for - great looking boat!
Thanks for the compliments and the link.. I didn't realize there was a zerk on the rudder.. It did loosen up a bit throughout the weekend but still feels tougher than it should.. Hopefully that'll take care of it.. Either way it didn't get in the way much of having fun all weekend..

On a sidenote, the leaking from the shaft seal def got worse - enough so that if left with the bilge off for a few hours, I'd find about 3-4" of water in the bilge.. The boat has a float switch but no one thought to screw it down so I found it floating in 4" of water this morning... More work to do this week!!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

So after a couple of weeks of fun, a few issues have sprung up that I'll be trying to figure out over the next week or 2..
The boat's been taking on water since I've had it back in, seems to have gotten progressively worse and is now up about a gallon/hour if I had to guess. Spent a while trying to track down the leak without pulling the gas tank and found a couple areas of concern:

Right here, under the tank next to the rudder plate, there's a small constant dribble. This wasn't enough to accumulate but is there do be dealt with regardless, still not sure the source of the water but also noticed that it's coming from a rather long crack in the glass.. Might be a better winter project to reglass it all in, obviously the water coming through it is another issue.. Here's a closer shot:

Then the real culprit, which was staring me in the face the whole time:

I knew this looked terrible but until I read a bunch of threads on the same issue assumed it was just coming from the shaft packing.. (which I also replaced this weekend).. More to come on that, hoping to get it all reglassed before the weekend.
The biggest concern I have now is that on sunday, after 4-5 trips out, I started to feel a vibration at lower RPMs when in gear.. Between 1000-2000rpm was when it was worst, but from first time feeling to 2 trips out later in the day it got much worse, seemed to go away at higher rpms at first but got bad enough on the 3rd trip to decide to idle back to the dock and pull her out.
This vibration is what I'm most concerned about now and need to figure out (hopefully quick).. I checked the usual suspects and found no play in any direction at the prop end of the shaft, cutlass bearings likely need to be changed out due to age and sitting but I see and feel no play.. I also checked the prop from what I've read and did find one blade has some bends on the tip:

The only reason I'm tending to rule this out, is that this is what it's been since prior to my owning it. so why would it just show up?
I spoke to the shop that's done some work for me and they are going to check some measurements for me but felt one possibility could be that the shaft log is getting progressively worse and allowing the shaft to vibrate.. After seeing the construction of the shaft log and how it's attached to the hull, I'm not convinced it could prevent a shaft from vibrating..
Any ideas on any of the above is appreciated!!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Forgot to add that I also checked the rudder and while I found no play by hand, I tried to repack with a grease gun and my grease gun broke so was unable to.. After removing the grease fitting, I only found water inside, no trace of grease in there at all!!