Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-18-2013, 07:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Might load test the wires, like the wire from the battery for example, take that wire off of the ignition and hook a old headlamp to it then ground the other wire off the light. And if the light is bright then that wire is good, you can do it with other wires but its more complicated. While load testing the wire go as far down it as you can pulling on the wire gently. If light goes off then you found your problem
Old 07-19-2013, 02:54 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, 2001, Xstar
I seem to have a short someplace else that is causing overall problems. I went through the entire ignition following all of the purple wires. I was actually losing most of the volts between the ignition relay and ignition coil.

One interesting thing, if I only hook up the main battery terminals, not the smaller blower, lights, etc., the gauges turn on as normal when the key is put in start. The engine will not start though. If I try to start it, everything cuts off. If I hook the smaller battery cables up to the battery, the gauges never come on, and I drop voltage between the ignition coil and relay.

BTW, I am pretty sure they would be able to sell these boats for half the money if they didn't use so much electrical tape...