Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 07-15-2013, 02:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 215, 2011
OMG-The Wake is Intimidating Me

Now, ya'll try to remember that I SAID I was new to Slalom. And I started wakeboarding last year when I bought my Maristar 215 (which I love). As I'm starting to get more confident on my new ski and trying to work both sides of the boat, I'm very intimidated to stay in good form and power through the wake. After all, I'm trying to give up wakeboarding because of some nasty falls with head injuries jumping W2W. Now, I'm going airborne on a narrow ski in lieu of a nice WIDE wakeboard.

My boat driver has made all attempts to smooth the wake out as much as possible but at the speed I'm going, 24 mph, and always 6-10 people in the boat, the wake is STILL ~ 2 1/2'.

Do you think if I suck it up and try to go faster that it will be "do-able" for me? Or will it be a lost cause with this particular boat. I just didn't think I was quiet ready to be running 30 mph when I'm just learning.

What Mastercraft is THE Ski boat of choice?

I LOVE my Mastercraft! - It's Never Too Late!
Old 07-15-2013, 02:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
gotta run at least 30 mph and trim all the way down, move everyone as far toward to the bow as possible, you might want to think about a smaller crew.
if that don't work you might need to invest into a 197
Old 07-15-2013, 02:33 PM
TT Regular

That's what I'm trying to figure out...do I need to buy myself a smaller ski boat to get this accomplished. I don't want to exhaust myself trying to make this work if it will NEVER work. And yes, I know I need to lighten the load. Everybody is always so excited to jump in and go.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Falcon
Unless you have pure slalom tug you need a minimum of 30 MPH to make your wake passable. speed up and go. My 13 year old (second year slaloming runs at 28mph). You should notice a big difference in wake at 30 and people moved to distribute the load evenly.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft, PS 190, 1990, 351 windsor
The previous reply had he right things to do. I will give you more suggestion that helped some of our newer skiers who had wake issues. Shorten up the rope to 28 or 32 off, this will get you in front of the rooster tail where the wake is not as tall and intimidating. I know 28 and 32 off is typically what a decent skier will do through a course and sounds intimidating, but you are not skiing a course right now so try it and see how it works for you.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Start with the easiest to modify - dump all weight possible. Depending upon your average weight that is quite a lot of ballast in bodies. 8 people *165 = 1320 lbs; that is more than the stock ballast of the X-15. So take just the min (driver, spotter and yourself), 3/4 tank of gas and dump other stuff not needed. The 215/X-15 has quite a bump even with no ballast but why stack the odds against you to start with.

IMO, wakeboarding at slower speeds with a helmet on would be less chances of injury than 30 MPH on a ski but then again I speak from no experience on the (water) skiing side of things. Take the wakeboard out at 19 MPH with longer rope and enjoy some one wake jumps, surface spins, lip slides etc. The water is much softer at 19 MPH. I think the problem people get into with wakeboarding is to expect the boat (speed) to make up for deficiencies (I speak from experience there) in skills thus taking harder falls.

All in all, whatever it takes to get out on the water and have fun rather than bad experiences. I'll look forward to reading how you progress on this.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:54 PM
TT Regular

I thought about shortening the rope but wasn't sure if that would make learning more difficult or not. Right now I'm working on the drill of cutting out to left 3 seconds, coasting 3 seconds, then across the wake to the other side, etc. I'm doing this very comfortable with the exception of being so relieved to still be right side up after crossing the tremendous wake. I find myself coming off my edge and bending my knees a ton and praying to stay up on the ski. I will definitely try shortening the rope and then MAYBE I won't have to go quiet SO fast these first early learning pull sessions.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 197TT #28 of 100
Shortening is a good thing in this case. It prevents you from getting out to wide and creating a lot of speed into the wake. The (very good) school here locally starts new skiers with a much shorter line so that they do not develop fear of the wake due to high crossing speeds (and falls).
2005 ProStar 197TT, #28 of 100

Broken Bow, OK vacation cabin for rent -
www.sipnskicabin.com
Old 07-15-2013, 03:07 PM
TT Regular

I didn't think about it that way but it does make perfect sense. I had in my head that it would make it more difficult for me. But, of course, I'm a perfectionist and I see myself eventually doing it like the world class skiers. LOL I always think BIG!!! LOL

Old 07-15-2013, 03:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
MC Ski boats with great wakes:

X7

1. Your speed: I think you need to keep the speed down to where you have it now in order to work on form... Speeding the boat will cause you to form bad habits... You have to be able to generate the speed across the wakes with your body and not let the boat do it for you.

2. Rope: Stay with 15' off - shortening the rope will only slow your learning process. You have to (have to have to) learn to generate the speed and proper on edge form via the longer line and slower speed. You can not learn to ski a slalom course at 28' off - believe me I TRIED

2. Generating the speed with your body means you’re going to have to do the following:
. a. Get wider on the boat....
. b. Keep the ski on edge across BOTH wakes

3. 6-10 people on the boat at all times and on a big boat? Holy cArp... Get rid of the dead weight, go with 3 people max.

4. Lastly, you should be able to tell that you have a good (confident side) and an off (omg i’m going to wipe out) side. On the offside pull, make sure you are looking at the pylon the whole way across the wake. That will open your shoulders, put the ski on edge and you wont see the wake coming to be scared of it.

MC

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...