Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-12-2013, 06:18 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 X-30 LTR
Question 2002 X30 Wake Improvements

The factory ski locker ballast bag just busted, and that got me thinking: what can I do to get the best wakeboarding wake behind our X30?

First, I'm not interested in wake surfing or skiing at all, only wakeboarding, so I only need to configure the boat for that and partying.

I've seen many people recommend pulling the hard tanks from the back and replacing everything with Pro-X sacs. Is there a target weight that I'm trying to hit with just 2 people in the boat (not worried about when I've got 10)?

What about wake plates? All the new boats seem to have them, would this be a better way to dynamically adjust the sweet spot of the wake? I know it won't be cheaper, but is it faster/better?

I've seen a ton of threads on this, so sorry if I'm posting old stuff, but I'm trying to understand what the state of the art in wakeboarding wakes is right now.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
I would call wakemakers and describe what you are after. they are very helpful

pulling out stock tank and putting in bag took me about 20 min, very simple compared to everthing else I am fixing
Old 07-13-2013, 08:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '00 MariStar 230VRS
Not so sure I'd do wake plates. I've seen photos on the internet of total hull failure on retrofitted boats and even some on factory-equipped boats like Malibus. I'd wager the MasterCrafts that come with plates from the factory have some serious reinforcement in the area of the hull to which they mount that your X30 doesn't.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 x30
You will want to run the two 750lb sacks in the rear, replace the factory center sack with another sactory bag, and then add the 600lb bow sack.

You will also need a new prob.... Call Eric at OJ, or ACME....

I usually run the rear sacks half full, everything else completely full.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dummy View Post
Not so sure I'd do wake plates. I've seen photos on the internet of total hull failure on retrofitted boats and even some on factory-equipped boats like Malibus. I'd wager the MasterCrafts that come with plates from the factory have some serious reinforcement in the area of the hull to which they mount that your X30 doesn't.
while i have no knowledge of the above statement, i will say that (knock on wood), i haven't had any problems with my trim tab. its been a great asset. it really helps to keep the bow down when underway and i definitely use it to adjust the wake.