Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2013, 12:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
We use an old kerma ski pole as a hand held boom to get some fun angles from the boat. The handle grip with the strap works great. It has floaties on the pole - so it won't sink. Any one using an ion camera?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Used the chest mount since my friend didn't have the floaty backdoor. Makes for a couple cool images. Plan to have a quick edit done soon and will post to TT.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X55, 2013, 7.4L
The floaty back door is kind of pain because it limits the range of motion on the mount, due to it being so thick. Plus as some have said, depending on what mounts you're using, it may not do the job.

Just ordered my second Hero3 after one became an anchor. This time I'll tether. Saw an idea for a really simple one: Use fishing leader lines with the snaps already on them. Connect around the hinge to the door and whatever anchor you need (will be a strap on my PFD for me).
Old 07-12-2013, 01:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 PS197
We had great results with the suction cup mount stuck to the front of the slalom ski looking back. Very nice action. Installed floaty back door and zip tied two floating key fobs on - that was then enough to float the whole assy. Then tied the thing to my front ski binding so that at worst it would get banged around if it let loose, which it never did.

Also clamped it to the boom for barefooting which was pretty cool as well. Haven't tried the chest mount on the rider yet, but aim to do it soon.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Mounted mine on the upper transom above the grab handle with a surf mount, tether and floaty back. Works fine, but inattentive kids (not mine) constantly knock it, so I don't even try to use it unless it's just us. Here's a shot from last season with this setup:

You can't beat a helmet mount though (not me): http://vimeo.com/25946357

Last edited by deminimis; 07-12-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astepatatime View Post
The floaty back door is kind of pain because it limits the range of motion on the mount, due to it being so thick. Plus as some have said, depending on what mounts you're using, it may not do the job.

Just ordered my second Hero3 after one became an anchor. This time I'll tether. Saw an idea for a really simple one: Use fishing leader lines with the snaps already on them. Connect around the hinge to the door and whatever anchor you need (will be a strap on my PFD for me).
Careful with the floatie particularly for wakeboarding - don't assume it is foolproof and go without secondary protection of a leash. I've had my floatie ripped off its sticky mount on a couple occasions during wakeboard speed crashes. Luckily for me I also had the camera tethered to something. I would only use the floatie as the sole source of security if I were doing low speed stuff. The only times now I go without a leash is if we are just swimming. The same idea goes for helmet and other mounts. I've broken a couple mounts during crashes. Always make sure you are protected at least two ways because none of these mounts are to be trusted. They all break.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X46 6.2l
If your having FOV problems with the gopro then change the FOV. I use standard for surfing and narrow for wakeboarding. The problem on our boat is most people cant point a camera in the right direction.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CumberlandXstar View Post
I have had the surfboard mount fall off the board a few times. Strap a float to it in case it comes off. The best footage i have got from a go pro is when it is mounted on the end of a pole. You can film surfing from the boat and platform with it and wakeboarding from a tube. Its a fisheye so you want to be really close (3 to 15 feet away) for a good picture from a go pro.
Wow, I'm surprised the surf mount could come off! I've been running with just the primary mount and had better attache the backup with lanyard. Was your board wet or waxy when you installed it?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30
In case anyone wants to know which mounts float with the Floaty Back Door, here you go: http://youtu.be/-1R7AzF9RY8
Old 07-14-2013, 09:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30
We took the GoPro with us yesterday and the first mount I tried was the roll bar on the ski pylon. With the floaty back door attached, I also tethered it to a grab handle in the boat. The results were pretty good - video below. The suction cup on the transom or side of the boat will be the next adventure to hopefully capture the size of the wave better. Thanks for all of the tips guys/girls.

http://youtu.be/xO06MU4zUqE

Tags
gopro