Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2013, 09:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30
Question Best Mount Spots for a GoPro

Hey guys - I snagged a GoPro Hero 3 yesterday in hopes of capturing our wakesurf and wakeboard sets. While the GoPro may not be the ideal camera for wakeboarding I'm still looking for tips from you all on the best places to mount the camera for both of these sports.

Wakesurfing - I'm thinking a suction cup mount on the back edge of the boat on the riding side would be ideal. Thoughts?

Wakeboarding - I bought the roll bar mount and thought it would fit nicely on the tower. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:24 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
I found that the FOV is wide enough that GoPro from the boat back to a rider is not satisfying video. The best footage we've obtained with wakeboard, wakesurf, or hydrofoil has been with the surfboard mount, the wrist mount, or a helmet mount.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:32 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
Just be a bit careful with the suction cup mount. Be sure to buy the float back door and make sure it foats the entire camera including the suction cup mount. There was someone on here that went to a lot of trouble to get the perfect suction cup mount location only to have the rope knock it off the boat. Some where, some lake, there is a GoPro at the bottom. Do a search on here and I am sure you will find the thread.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2004 MCX
I have had the surfboard mount fall off the board a few times. Strap a float to it in case it comes off. The best footage i have got from a go pro is when it is mounted on the end of a pole. You can film surfing from the boat and platform with it and wakeboarding from a tube. Its a fisheye so you want to be really close (3 to 15 feet away) for a good picture from a go pro.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:45 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Maristar 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethebt View Post
Just be a bit careful with the suction cup mount. Be sure to buy the float back door and make sure it foats the entire camera including the suction cup mount. There was someone on here that went to a lot of trouble to get the perfect suction cup mount location only to have the rope knock it off the boat. Some where, some lake, there is a GoPro at the bottom. Do a search on here and I am sure you will find the thread.
Yup, I too have a GoPro and the bottom of the lake after using the suction cup mount. In conditions like what you are talking about, I have had better luck using the permanent mounting plates that use the 3M tape. Use a little alcohol to clean the surface to get rid of any oils, etc. and then you can attach and detach the camera when ever you need while maintaining the mount in place.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
I have a buddy or family member sitting on rear locker shoot vid with GoPro.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:17 AM
TT Regular

Boat: X2 '06 MCX
Suction cup near the back corner works well for surfing. I just attach a lanyard between the camera and a cleat in case it gets sheared of by a rope. I think there are lots of gopro videos on youtube showing different options. Here is an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=TL...&v=Vc1nj_L7yA0
Also, a little rain-x on the Gopro lens helps keep water drops off.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:31 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Don't mount one of the 3M sticky plates to an extended pylon. I did that and my gopro is at the bottom of a lake too.

I need to invest in scuba equipment. Lake bottoms have to be gold mines.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryHop View Post
Suction cup near the back corner works well for surfing. I just attach a lanyard between the camera and a cleat in case it gets sheared of by a rope. I think there are lots of gopro videos on youtube showing different options. Here is an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=TL...&v=Vc1nj_L7yA0
Also, a little rain-x on the Gopro lens helps keep water drops off.
This is the exact spot I was thinking of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethebt View Post
I'm planning to buy the suction cup mount and use a tether of some sort. GoPro's website states that the floaty back door doesn't float the suction cup mount. Regardless, I'm going to use the floaty back door and a tether for insurance.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:29 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter View Post
This is the exact spot I was thinking of.

I'm planning to buy the suction cup mount and use a tether of some sort. GoPro's website states that the floaty back door doesn't float the suction cup mount. Regardless, I'm going to use the floaty back door and a tether for insurance.
Definitely get the floaty back. It will float with the headstrap attached. A tether would be good insurance too.

Tags
gopro