Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-11-2013, 03:14 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajborel@msn.com View Post
Skied this morning all worked normal something somewhere is causing power to the purple wire. Just doesn't happen when I have the test equipment available a little frustrating
If you've been having problems, I can't see a reason to NOT have some test equipment.

Next time, disconnect the purple wire at the ignition switch. If it shuts off, you'll know the switch (or the way it's wired) is causing this. Are you absolutely sure the switch doesn't show continuity between the terminal used for the purple wire and battery all the time and only needs to be cranked to start it?

Turn the switch to OFF and measure voltage at the purple wire on the alternator. If you see voltage, reconnect it, disconnect the purple wire at the switch and measure voltage at the alternator again. If it still has voltage, something is wired wrong or you have a short. Make sure the two ends of the boat plug fit together without forcing them and that it didn't rotate when/if it was plugged in after the engine swap.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:58 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 prostar 205 Lt1
Your are confusing one with another mine did not have an engine swap when mine kept running I first changed out the ing switch worked great for a day took a picture of the old one before installing the new one to make sure to wire it properly have test equipment in the all the time now it's just not happening
Old 07-11-2013, 07:47 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajborel@msn.com View Post
Your are confusing one with another mine did not have an engine swap when mine kept running I first changed out the ing switch worked great for a day took a picture of the old one before installing the new one to make sure to wire it properly have test equipment in the all the time now it's just not happening
You're right- I thought yours was re-powered. Does your new switch have markings for the terminals? I was driving home and thought that the markings may be between the terminals, which could make it possible to connect each wire to the one that's adjacent to the correct one. Do you have a clear photo of the back of the switch?

If it worked OK before the new switch went in and the new one is wired correctly, I could only conclude that the new switch is faulty.

It's not screwing up? Great. My friend has a Carver that won't crank on the starboard engine sometimes- I used a jumper to connect from the crank post to the battery post and it fired right up but I haven't heard if it did this last weekend.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 prostar 205 Lt1
Finally boat is fixed after pulling wires and harnesses And finding nothing my voltage regulator finally gave up putting out 18 volts replaced alternator all is fine no drains started as a intermittent short in the regulator I suspect it was heat related