Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-31-2013, 04:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Sounds like a relay or wiring to me.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamica joe View Post
OK, I have a 2000 -- 205V with approx. 500 hours. This past weekend I experienced the first issue with my fuel pump. This was the first outing of 2013... The boat cranked like a champ on the trailer and I had one of the guys idle around the cove while I pulled the trailer out. By the time I got back to the lake, the boat had died and would not re-cank. I pulled the boat out and on the way home I dropped it off with my mechanic. It cranked the first time for him and then died with no re-start. It would do the same after waiting several hours. He hooked the pump directly to a battery and it pumped like a champ. He made a call to Rambo in Birmingham, and talked to their guru (Les??) and he said that we would need to replace a "collar" that goes around the pump. Per Rambo this seemed to fix 95% of similar issues.

Anyone know WTH he is talking about?

Thanks,
Joe

Define 'crank'. If you mean it wouldn't start, say "it wouldn't start". 'Crank' means the starter won't cause the engine to rotate. It's a case of semantics, but the terminology matters.

If the pump worked when the harness was bypassed, look at the plug and see if it seems to have melted plastic. If it does, you'll need to replace the plug. Do it right- solder the wires and use self-sealing heat shrink tubing. If you do it any other way, the chance of having a problem with the connections is extremely high. Most auto parts stores sell this replacement plug- you'll need to give them the part number.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:25 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 205 prostar
Thank u thank u thank u! I have been tryn to figure out y my psi isn't right and couldn't find the regulator thank u!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:37 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 205 prostar
So many people were saying the canister on the top was a ck valve
Old 06-03-2013, 12:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, 205V, 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Define 'crank'. If you mean it wouldn't start, say "it wouldn't start". 'Crank' means the starter won't cause the engine to rotate. It's a case of semantics, but the terminology matters.

If the pump worked when the harness was bypassed, look at the plug and see if it seems to have melted plastic. If it does, you'll need to replace the plug. Do it right- solder the wires and use self-sealing heat shrink tubing. If you do it any other way, the chance of having a problem with the connections is extremely high. Most auto parts stores sell this replacement plug- you'll need to give them the part number.
Sorry for the terminology issues... The boat started, and then died and would not re-start (it did turn over). While in the shop the same thing would happen -- the engine would start, die and then would not start. Wait a while and the same process would occur.

Tha Rambo folks recommended a replacement "collar" (sorry I don't have a better defination or part reference) for the fuel pump.

I'll now send him the suggestions you made.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:15 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '04 Maristar 230
'04 Maristar 230 MCX 315 hours

Had zero pressure at rail so I installed the Airtex 2044. Dry dock test starts right up and idles fine. 53psi at rail. Water test tomorrow.

Thanks to those who contributed to this thread
Old 07-09-2013, 11:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft X-45, 2006, L18, slate gray/white
Asked on another thread, but does anyone know the Airtex/Walbro/AC Delco/Bosch pump part number for an L-18 engine? I picked up an Airtex E2065 at Advance Auto and was wondering if it's correct/close. I found number on another thread and seized on it...

The other Airtex I've seen mentioned is the E2044. from what I can find, both are rated at 45 GPH (free flow) but the 2065 is 90-95 PSI while the 2044 is 90-100 PSI. It doesn't seem like the pressure difference should matter, especially since the regulator drops the pressure down to ~55 psi.

Last edited by Hrkdrivr; 07-09-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:22 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: X1
Add me to the list

2006 X1, 190 hours TT. First run of the season, full fuel tank. After one hour of running, idling into the dock and fuel pump failed. Dealer replaced fuel pump for $540. He said that the pump Mastercraft sent him is a newer improved design. I think I will do some more reading of this thread to see what the most recommended brand of fuel pump is and, buy a spare for the boat. I'm new to Mastercraft and am surprised by all of the issues with this brand (fuel pumps, leather interior stitching, etc) I thought buying a boat of this caliber would eliminate my having to worry about paddling in every time I leave the dock.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star
Your thinking is flawed ALL boats have issues some bigger than others but still issues
Old 07-14-2013, 10:18 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotjag941 View Post
Your thinking is flawed ALL boats have issues some bigger than others but still issues
Completely true. Some companies, however, do a better job than others of supporting their customers who suffer these manufacturer's defects.