Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-12-2013, 10:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Started cleaning up some odds and ends, nothing worthy of pics yet but I'll have more done by the end of the weekend. (r/w pump, pulleys, valve covers, t-stat housing, intake manifold)
Dropped the carb off for a rebuild yesterday, should be back in about a week. Not sure I'll bother with the stock intake, cheap enough to buy and aftermarket. (Any recommendations for a slightly better than stock?)
In talks with a couple people about engines, debating on whether or not to get a full long block, or get a short block with GT40 heads. Was pretty tempted by these on Ebay, price seems too good to be true though. Are GT40s worth the upgrade? What else would I have to change out?
Here's the list of parts I've rounded up so far, i'll be placing an order with skidim tomorrow night I think:

Fuel Filter/Seperator Racor 110 Skidim part # 0501
R/W Impeller Skidim part # 0714
Circulation Pump Skidim part# 0610
T-Stat 160 degree skidim part #0736
T-stat housing gasket skidim part #0725
Shaft packing (? 1-4 not sure what size I need??)
Ignitor/flamethrowe coil/distributor/ignition - conversion kit
(2) Exhaust manifold mounting kit skidim part#9004
(2) riser gasket skidim part#11221
Intake gasket set skidim part#1118
Valve cover gasket set skidim part#1106
(2) Speedo pitot skidim (one's snapped off, might as well do both)
Speedo tubing 25ft skidim part#1802

Anything major missing?? It will likely be a few weeks before I have the new engine so in the meantime I need to get everything needed for a quick install. I'll be taking that time to figure out whether or not I need to replace the starter and alternator and check out the tranny oil cooler.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
Nice boat! FWIW I swapped out my standard heads with GT40 heads, made a noticeable increase in power. My posts about it areon here somewhere. I went from about 41-42 MPH to 45-46 MPH top speed, so I definitely increased the HP significantly. I believe Indmar also changed out the intake and cam when going to GT40 heads in the early 90's, so I'm sure I don't have the full HP of that motor, but close enough. Apparently the GT40p heads are even better, but I could not find them locally. I was lucky to find the GT40 heads in an Explorer at a junkyard where I could pull them myself.
Good luck with the rebuild.
Kevin
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far
Old 06-22-2013, 10:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

So, got some GT40 heads and started ordering a slew of parts in prep for an engine swap. Spent the day today removing all externals off the old engine, checking them out and cleaning/refinishing if appear to be good (long day off grinding, sanding, painting, etc).
I've removed everything from the old engine except the inner half of the circ pump and balancer (need a puller) and so far everything looks to be in pretty good shape except the starter. Everything seemed fine until at the end of the day I started to tackle the exhaust manifolds and noticed that BOTH had long cracks on the outside. I managed to successfully repair a cracked block a couple months ago in another boat so I'll take a crack at it, I can't imagine there's moch pressure in those jackets and if it doesn't pan out it'll be easy to deal with later, right now I'd like to save wherever I can and get it in the water asap - over the winter I'll be working up fulll restore.
I've got a ton of odds and ends on the way from skdim and ebay - it'll be about 2 weeks before the shortblock arrives.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2013, 04:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
Nice work on the cleanup if the accessories, it's looking good.

Keep at it, the first ride in your running project is pretty sweet when it all comes together and goes smoothly.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Chief View Post
Nice work on the cleanup if the accessories, it's looking good.

Keep at it, the first ride in your running project is pretty sweet when it all comes together and goes smoothly.
I remember the first ride in mine. Was listening for and hearing every little noise. Took a while to believe I had worked out all the issues and to relax.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-25-2013, 08:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
I remember the first ride in mine. Was listening for and hearing every little noise. Took a while to believe I had worked out all the issues and to relax.
Haha!! Between this being the first engine I've ever played been inside and my terrible previous experiences with my last boat - this was pretty much how I pictured it. I plan on taking it easy anyway during the break-in period. I'm mostly concerned about the condition of the tranny. So far, I've been assuming all is fine. Seems to shift fine but that means very little. The boat only has 500 hours or so and seemed to have been taken well care of until the last season when it wasn't winterized properly.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Parts will start arriving tomorrow from skidim and begin trickling in now. The short block is due to arrive the middle of next week. I'd been planning on paying a local boat shop $500 to do the swap but my father thinks we could easily do it ourselves so wants to come up and take a stab at it with me weekend after next.
I've pretty much stripped the current block down to almost nothing but the short block. Only things left to remove are the harmonic balancer and timing cover but I'm having a hard time getting the bolt out of the crackshaft. (Debating whether or not I should just replace both and not deal with the headache.) Also need to pull the oil pump and pan once it's out.

I couldn't find a lot of threads on engine removal but I was hoping to be able to remove the block without the tranny. (rather not mess with alignment or shaft for now) It looks like I could remove the front bolts that go into the block from the mounts and unbolt from the bellhousing - should it just lift out at that point?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
Solid progress, keep it up!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Haven't had much time to get a lot done this week between work and rain but started on the Team platform, this was much easier than I'd anticipated after reading a bunch on it. Decided to hit it with a palm sander and some 400 grit to smooth it out first, then used Maguires teak cleaner - nasty stuff but with only a bit of brushing in it worked really well. Here's the before:

Here's the after one application of teak cleaner while wet:

I used the cleaner 2x more after the pic, looking great now. Once it stops raining here I'll test out the maguires teak oil vs the boiled linseed and start lubin' her up.

Aside from that just been collecting all the goodies that are arriving daily. Here's a couple of the ones I was excited to see:
Arco 70200 reduction gear starter

Flame thrower setup:

Won't be able to get much done until after this coming weekend now but should have almost everything ready to begin swapping the engine out.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

So the new short block didn't arrive until today so my plans to start on the swap this past weekend was a bust - instead decided to tackle freshening up the exterior. Started with 800 then 1200 grit wetsand, then moved to polisher with color restore compound, then polish and finished her off with a couple coats of wax. Amazing how much of a difference it makes.. Here's a before and after of one of the badly oxidized spots:

Before:

After:

Also soaked the platform in teak oil, about 4 coats I think.

I pulled the timing cover and balancer today after work and cleaned em up and resprayed. I decided to pay a local boat shop to pull the old short block and drop in the new one tomorrow which will leave me to have to install the top end and all externals, etc. With any luck she should be running before the weekend's over!! Just curious to see what I can't remember goes where lol.. Everyone be on stand by to send pictures upon request all weekend, lol!