Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-07-2013, 08:35 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 95 190 with LT1
IAC and Paperclip Questions

I have searched the site for answers to these question to no avail: Where is the IAC located on the LT1 engine (a picture would be great) and how exactly do you perform the paperclip test to read the codes on a 95 PS190?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 prostar 190
Regarding reading the codes, check my post on the 96 TBI black smoke thread. Double check this, but since they are both GM engines I'm assuming the TBI and the LT1 engine have the same code system. You have to find the connector that has little letters on each side marking the terminals (A-I). You may need a flashlight.

If you do some googling you can find the proper terminals for inserting the paperclip (A and B) and what the different codes mean. The engine light does a series of flashes to relay the numbers. If it just flashes the same thing over and over (number 12), then everything is okay.

Not sure about where the IAC is on the LT1.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:19 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubrey View Post
I have searched the site for answers to these question to no avail: Where is the IAC located on the LT1 engine (a picture would be great) and how exactly do you perform the paperclip test to read the codes on a 95 PS190?
Look for a part that looks like the one in the link-
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1995-1996.html

I sent a PM with the details for using the paper clip. If you have a simple code scanner, you can use that, instead.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190 - LT1
Hey Jim,
Could you please PM me the details on the paper clip code test, too? I would really appreciate it. Also, I posted a new thread that I'm hoping you might weigh in on. I always appreciate your advice. Thanks,
Kyle
Old 07-08-2013, 01:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrskr View Post
Regarding reading the codes, check my post on the 96 TBI black smoke thread. Double check this, but since they are both GM engines I'm assuming the TBI and the LT1 engine have the same code system. You have to find the connector that has little letters on each side marking the terminals (A-I). You may need a flashlight.

If you do some googling you can find the proper terminals for inserting the paperclip (A and B) and what the different codes mean. The engine light does a series of flashes to relay the numbers. If it just flashes the same thing over and over (number 12), then everything is okay.

Not sure about where the IAC is on the LT1.
It is located on the bottom of the throttle body, as in this pic from a Z28:
http://www.shbox.com/1/iac3.jpg

Also, I believe you have to adjust the IAC position after you change it out so it knows where it is. I found this, but I have no idea if this is how it is done on our boats:
Depress accelerator slightly
Start engine, then release accelerator pedal, run engine for 5 seconds
Turn ignition "OFF" for ten seconds
Restart engine and check for proper idle operation
It is NOT recommended to to push or pull on the pintle of an IAC that has been in service. The force required can damage the threads on the worm drive. Also, do not soak the IAC in any liquid cleaner or solvent, as damage may result. When installing a new IAC, you may move the pintle to match the measurement of the old one. The force required to move a NEW valve will not cause damage to it. Use engine oil to lubricate the o-ring. Tighten attaching screws to 27 lb. in.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html

Last edited by Table Rocker; 07-08-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:35 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 95 Maristar 225
Fyi

I picked one up at Advance for $33. It was a BWD part number 21755. I worked perfect. I just installed it and did nothing else.