Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-06-2013, 12:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft MariStar 210 VRS
any updates?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdyn0mite View Post
I installed a ridesteady this winter and I've been very happy with it. I used it for the paddlewheel (we are on a dammed up river with a current, so it's more accurate than GPS). Install was a bit tricky, but not too tough. I think it was like $700 or $800. Glad I did it.
The next item on my upgrade list is a WS420 and very soon after PP. But after reading this thread there is this one post quoted that sticks out for me, maybe you guys can assist.

Why would a paddlewheel be more accurate on the river because of current. Ok, I get the physics of it, as it is almost no different than airspeed in a plane. The combined current speed and boats speed would produce the same wake no matter which direction you were going and what speed across the water. So its pretty interesting.

My question about the paddlewheel is, does it take a beating from debris? What are the shortsides vs GPS units?

In reality then on the river a GPS unit would have to be tweaked almost everytime out there since current is always changing as well as direction. The paddlewheel would eliminate that. Set it up like normal, set the speed and no matter if you turn around or go around the bend where current is stronger it would stay the same speed. Correct?
Old 07-06-2013, 01:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
I can say on rivers for who know what reason, the anual speedos always get clogged...

$1200 for a PP in the gerand scheme of things is not bad - especially when my skicost new more than that...

Plus it saves friendships and marriages LOL

Time to go gre prepped to get on the brazos...

I'll try to get a video or 2...

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 07-08-2013, 01:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
I installed a Nauticlogic that I bought off the classified section this winter. It replaces the paddle wheel based speed input with a GPS based one on our Perfect Pass Wakeboard Edition. Install was plug and play-the most difficult part was running the wire for the GPS antenna. It works great and our PP has been holding +/- .1 mph so far.