Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-05-2013, 11:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
You're past me on this one but I tend to error on the side that bigger is better when it comes to power and grounding.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:08 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Hey just wanted to say thanks to the guys in this thread that helped me with my head unit wiring issue. The noise is gone. Everything sounds perfect. No matter what battery I have it set to.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:06 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Centurion, Elite V C4, 2006 5.7L
I also wanted to say thanks to the folks on this thread. Between here and the other forum I frequent I was able to wire in the second battery and BW Isolator relay. I additionally wired in a fuse panel from the second battery to move some of my accessories to. Lastly wired in an amp and got some wires up into my tower (a Skylon Swoop, this was not easy) and mounted our tower speakers. So thanks again to everyone for their inputs, write ups, and advice, it was all very helpful.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:04 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X Star, 2010
I have a 2010 boat, just added a stereo setup with about an extra 1000 watts and just started having battery issues running hte stereo over 15 minutes with the boat off. Was thinking of replacing one battery with a higher powered one? Anybody have thoughts or suggestions, or should I just get two new regular batteries, as they are 3 years / 300 hours old
Old 09-24-2013, 12:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I like to match the batteries. I've had good luck with Optima Blue tops however there is a lot of conversation on their performance/reliability on this board. Neither of which I've had the slightest issue with (just completing my fifth season and still look to be going strong).

Many opt to stick with conventional lead/acid batteries and go big. If you do decide to go AGM be aware of the charging requirements which will most likely mean having to replace the charger you may have inherited from Grandpa with an advanced and somewhat expensive new charger.....

On lead/acid I've heard most people recommending Interstate. On AGM I've heard Deka and Odyessey come up quite a bit.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweibel View Post
I have a 2010 boat, just added a stereo setup with about an extra 1000 watts and just started having battery issues running hte stereo over 15 minutes with the boat off. Was thinking of replacing one battery with a higher powered one? Anybody have thoughts or suggestions, or should I just get two new regular batteries, as they are 3 years / 300 hours old
I would have them tested. After three years, you are on borrowed time IMO. Next, if you have a 2 batteries and both are going dead after playing the stereo at anchor, then you need to look into how the battery system is configured. If you dont have a dual battery setup, I would suggest doing one. This would allow you to isolate a battery for restarting the engine after playing the stereo at anchor.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:57 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft ProStar 190 351ci
89 Prostar 2nd Battery Location

I have been reading a lot on this thread about how to wire a second battery and I have figured out how I want to wire it. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to secure as second battery in the bow of an 89 Prostar 190?
Old 11-03-2013, 07:02 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timdog145 View Post
I have been reading a lot on this thread about how to wire a second battery and I have figured out how I want to wire it. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to secure as second battery in the bow of an 89 Prostar 190?
Yeah- don't put it in the bow. You want the cabling to the first battery and alternator to be as short as possible and placing it in the bow doesn't allow that to happen.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timdog145 View Post
I have done this in previous closed bows (83, 85, 93 models) similar to the 89.

Your machine has a floor / on stringers throughout up to the point of where the hull vees into the bow configuration.

On the 93 (most recent) I bought a battery box and secured it to the floor with the mounting brackets that come with the box. Think I paid $12 - 15 for the box, lid, and tie-downs. Just secure the brackets to the floor with #10 or so wood screws, wedging the box (not forcing anything) into the vee configuration and secure it there. I used an old life jacket strap with a buckle instead of the oem strap with friction tightener. Much easier to work with that when accessing and egressing the box.

This will leave plenty of room under the bow for other items. I moved the start battery from the rear fuel cell compartment and placed the start battery under the passenger seat, then measured out my wiring configuration. Went to Genuinedealz dot com for prefabricated tinned wire, end connectors, shrink. They do a great job and ship USPS 'if it fits it ships' and my $450 worth of wire cost $12 and some change to ship. No wire weight to consider for shipping.

Attached Images

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 11-03-2013, 09:24 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft ProStar 190 351ci
battery placement

JimN: Where would you recommend mounting battery 2? battery 1 is under the spotter's seat so the bow is the closest place to it, and as far as I can tell it is the only place I can get it to fit. under the back seat is not an option on the '89.
And Cloaked: pardon my ignorance because I am a brand new Mastercraft owner. Can I screw into the floor into the bow anywhere? What material is the deck made of under the carpet? The bow storage area is the only place I can find to fit the battery, and it would be somewhat easier to wire in and isolator because of its proximity to the original battery under the spotter's seat. Did you make it so the whole battery box is removable so you dont have to lift the battery out of the box?

Tags
amp, ballast, batteries, stereo, system