Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-13-2013, 01:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
Steering

I have 2001 205V and the steering is stiff under power. It turns fine when throttled down. Is this the cable or something else? If the cable, should I swap it with new since the boat is 12yrs old? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:25 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X-9
I replaced mine on my 209 and I needed to use two hands to steer. I replaced the cable and it turned with one finger. You could check the end of the cable where it attaches to the rudder and possibly clean it up and regrease it to see if there is any improvement. Look at my Thread and see if your cable looks as nasty as mine. Also my boat is a DD so it may be a little different procedure than yours. As far as getting to the rudder Etc.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=53412&page=2
Old 06-13-2013, 12:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 197 ProStar 2002
See this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
Conversation I had with Peter this spring:

Hi Bob, I am sure there is meant to be a white nylon washer about 1/8" thick and 2"diameter between the rudder and the port. ie. Put washer on shaft then slide rudder in from underside. I gather you are still experiencing problems. Have you actually had your rudder completely out yet? Because I found mine was caked with dry grease up in the port, and once cleaned out I could get grease to ooze out of the little hole about the size of a pinhead underneath. Curious does yours have the winged rudder or not? Cheers, Peter

Peter, I decided to grease the rudder again, it finally took some grease. Looked under the boat (on a lift) and saw a fine string of grease. Took the boat for a drive, no binding
e. Grease was not getting to the rudder.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
How much grease should be on the rudder shaft when you drop it out? I'm still having steering problems with my '93 Maristar after replacing the steering cable and greasing. With the steering cable disconnected the rudder turns very free. Also, the steering is only hard under power. I dropped the rudder and the shaft had just a little grease on the bottom of the shaft and a little on top. I haven't removed the rudder box yet but running my finger inside it it feels smooth and lightly greased. That said, when I grease it with a gun, no grease ever comes out of the weep hole. Still, it makes me think the rudder is not the culprit to my hard steering. Could the box under the steering wheel ( I don't know what it's called, maybe helm? ) that you feed the steering cable into be bad? Any help would be appreciated as my wife has a hard time driving our boat right now and I would like it to be right anyways.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
Called my dealer today and they basically told me to expect the steering to be hard in a maristar. I'm not buying that. I will continue to plug away at this until I get it right.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
Update....cleaned and greased the rudder shaft. Steering is like new again! What a difference! One finger steering!

MI_corey.....is your steering easy when on the trailer or at a stop? If so check your rudder shaft. If it is stiff it on the trailer it is most likely your cable.