Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2013, 11:30 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Wink

If I were in your shoes (or boat), I would store it for the summer In your driveway or yard with a Sunbrella waterline cover. Then shoehorn it into the garage for the off season. If you could find a reasonably priced winter storage (less than $50/month) then go with that over the garage.

I have had my boat for 31 years and have stored it for the winter (7-8 months) in a garage and summer (4-5 months) outside covered. I typically stored it in the shade. I do have a small amount of fading on the sides, but not too bad. I now have a sunbrella waterline cover and wish I would have had it 30 years ago. I like how it protects the sides from the sun.

For the first 28 years I stored mine in my parents unused garage for free, the last 3 years it has been stored in a barn along with a couple of other ski boats and classic cars for $30.00 per month. Its clean, dry and rodent free.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Rodent free. That's important. I like that portable shelter deal, looks pretty slick.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:43 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I'm not a fan of the portable shelters. I have seen them do more damage from being blown off and into the boat and car then anything. Although, if it never storms, they are great.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
Comes down to being "a boat person" or a person with a boat. Go with what works for you. When we built I was using an old Ebbtide on loan from my father-in-law. I hated leaving even that outside. Spent a little extra for the three car garage. Now I wish I had made the third stall about 5 feet deeper. This works, but we just seem to keep finding more stuff we can't live without.
I think of it as leaving the car outside with the windows down and a tarp over it. Always makes me cringe. Also, this thread makes me throw up in my mouth.
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793659
The cost to put that Supra right could've paid for a cheap garage.
Ouch!! what a mess... I would freak if I saw my boat look like that...
Old 07-06-2013, 12:02 PM
MC Devotee

Buddies boat. When he got it home to start clean up, opened the motor cover, coon jumped out and bout caused him a heart attack.
Jim at Viper fixed it up better than new though. Looks great now.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Quote:
Comes down to being "a boat person" or a person with a boat.
I take a small amount of offense to that. My neighbor, who leaves his boat outside, uncovered, all summer long, is a person with a boat. My two boats are always covered, always clean, and don't look anything like you would expect 20+ year-old boats to look. And, they haven't been molested by raccoons and rodents. (How does a raccoon get under an engine cover, anyway?)

Just because your boat doesn't live in a garage doesn't mean you're not a "boat person".
Old 07-06-2013, 03:15 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
I take a small amount of offense to that. My neighbor, who leaves his boat outside, uncovered, all summer long, is a person with a boat. My two boats are always covered, always clean, and don't look anything like you would expect 20+ year-old boats to look. And, they haven't been molested by raccoons and rodents. (How does a raccoon get under an engine cover, anyway?)

Just because your boat doesn't live in a garage doesn't mean you're not a "boat person".
Did a poor job on that post. I apologize. I don't mean to imply that you have to store your boat inside to be a "boat person", or to say that if you do store inside you are. I was simply trying to say that some people (like yourself and many on teamtalk) do what they can to baby their boats. Others don't worry much about it, and fix what is required to keep them running, not so much keep them as close to new condition as possible.
As to the motor cover, once the front seats have been displaced on this boat, it is possible, to get under the floor, allowing them to roam around.
My boat was stored on a lift for most of it's life in the summer, and covered and tarped next to the house in the winter. It definitely shows on the black gel coat, but overall it looks pretty dang good.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_king View Post
I'm not a fan of the portable shelters. I have seen them do more damage from being blown off and into the boat and car then anything. Although, if it never storms, they are great.
I understand the concern. We tie the tent frame to the trailer and cover the tent edges at the ground so the wind can't get underneath. Haven't had a problem in 10 years
Old 07-07-2013, 01:03 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtw_travel View Post
I understand the concern. We tie the tent frame to the trailer and cover the tent edges at the ground so the wind can't get underneath. Haven't had a problem in 10 years
what about snow?
Old 07-07-2013, 11:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP46 View Post
what about snow?
Snow is less of a concern than wind. It just slides off the top.