Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-04-2013, 01:39 PM
ajsmithson ajsmithson is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Location: Southeast
Posts: 9
1988 Prostar (351 Ford) Solenoid

I've searched for this and can't find it mentioned in previous threads, so my apologies if this has been covered.

I'm looking to replace the started solenoid on my 88 PS190 / 351 Ford. Can someone post a link, part number, or confirm that the item below will work?
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R130001

Am I looking for a specific part to match my boat, or are solenoids relatively generic?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-04-2013, 04:14 PM
sp00ky's Avatar
sp00ky sp00ky is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Location: southeast
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmithson View Post
I've searched for this and can't find it mentioned in previous threads, so my apologies if this has been covered.

I'm looking to replace the started solenoid on my 88 PS190 / 351 Ford. Can someone post a link, part number, or confirm that the item below will work?
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R130001

Am I looking for a specific part to match my boat, or are solenoids relatively generic?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
No they are not generic I just busted mine screwing around with cables. PO had installed an Arco 30123 ccw and had to order SW984 solenoid, there must be 60 different solenoids just for Arco.

What brand is it? And how old? $180-200 for a new starter may be worth sparing the time and headache.
__________________
This forum is amazing with quality people.: I did not think i'd ever own an Inboard. Now I finally have a gorgeous 94 205 I am glad I have ya'll backing me up.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-04-2013, 04:32 PM
LYNRDSKYNRD's Avatar
LYNRDSKYNRD LYNRDSKYNRD is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 1987 PROSTAR 190
Location: Alabama
Posts: 481
I may be wrong but I replaced mine two years ago with one from Oriellys. I was instructed, I believe on here, that an automotive was fine but to buy one made in america if available and not buy the cheapest. Two years and have had no problems.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-04-2013, 04:39 PM
sp00ky's Avatar
sp00ky sp00ky is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Location: southeast
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNRDSKYNRD View Post
I may be wrong but I replaced mine two years ago with one from Oriellys. I was instructed, I believe on here, that an automotive was fine but to buy one made in america if available and not buy the cheapest. Two years and have had no problems.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Starters and alternators should ALWAYS be marine to have proper spark protection. There are plenty of good marine components for not much more money.
__________________
This forum is amazing with quality people.: I did not think i'd ever own an Inboard. Now I finally have a gorgeous 94 205 I am glad I have ya'll backing me up.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-04-2013, 08:48 PM
ajsmithson ajsmithson is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Location: Southeast
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ky View Post
No they are not generic I just busted mine screwing around with cables. PO had installed an Arco 30123 ccw and had to order SW984 solenoid, there must be 60 different solenoids just for Arco.

What brand is it? And how old? $180-200 for a new starter may be worth sparing the time and headache.
Didn't check the brand. It looks just like the one in the picture linked above. It's at least 18 years old, maybe original. My starter appears to be functioning properly. It's just the relay/solenoid that is generating the electrical gremlins.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. Cheers.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
prostar, relay, solenoid

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:30 PM.