Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-04-2013, 01:39 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
1988 Prostar (351 Ford) Solenoid

I've searched for this and can't find it mentioned in previous threads, so my apologies if this has been covered.

I'm looking to replace the started solenoid on my 88 PS190 / 351 Ford. Can someone post a link, part number, or confirm that the item below will work?
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R130001

Am I looking for a specific part to match my boat, or are solenoids relatively generic?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmithson View Post
I've searched for this and can't find it mentioned in previous threads, so my apologies if this has been covered.

I'm looking to replace the started solenoid on my 88 PS190 / 351 Ford. Can someone post a link, part number, or confirm that the item below will work?
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R130001

Am I looking for a specific part to match my boat, or are solenoids relatively generic?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
No they are not generic I just busted mine screwing around with cables. PO had installed an Arco 30123 ccw and had to order SW984 solenoid, there must be 60 different solenoids just for Arco.

What brand is it? And how old? $180-200 for a new starter may be worth sparing the time and headache.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 PROSTAR 190
I may be wrong but I replaced mine two years ago with one from Oriellys. I was instructed, I believe on here, that an automotive was fine but to buy one made in america if available and not buy the cheapest. Two years and have had no problems.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-04-2013, 04:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNRDSKYNRD View Post
I may be wrong but I replaced mine two years ago with one from Oriellys. I was instructed, I believe on here, that an automotive was fine but to buy one made in america if available and not buy the cheapest. Two years and have had no problems.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Starters and alternators should ALWAYS be marine to have proper spark protection. There are plenty of good marine components for not much more money.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ky View Post
No they are not generic I just busted mine screwing around with cables. PO had installed an Arco 30123 ccw and had to order SW984 solenoid, there must be 60 different solenoids just for Arco.

What brand is it? And how old? $180-200 for a new starter may be worth sparing the time and headache.
Didn't check the brand. It looks just like the one in the picture linked above. It's at least 18 years old, maybe original. My starter appears to be functioning properly. It's just the relay/solenoid that is generating the electrical gremlins.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. Cheers.

Tags
prostar, relay, solenoid