Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-30-2013, 08:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
No Love From WS Sub -Edit: It's got a warm heart now.

So new WS everything except head unit. Front output on head unit goes over to 420SQ. Sub feed from 420SQ goes into Syn6 (ch5 ch6). The other channels (1-4) drive the in-boats. In boats and tower (powered by Syn4) all do great. The sub (ch 5/6 on Syn6) isn't doing much at all. I've pushed the buttons and set everything per the manual, but it's pretty much nonexistent. Perhaps a suggested gain setting or bass boost or ??? If you might have some thoughts, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by deminimis; 07-01-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Power wise, channels 5 & 6 bridged of your Syn6 is the strongest part of your entire system.
So something is wrong independent of the available power.
Which sub? Single or dual voice coil? If a DVC is it wired in series or parallel? Final impedance as wired? If a DVC sub have you double checked the polarity is matching on the two voice coils? Type and size of enclosure? What size of enclosure? Location of enclosure? If in a compartment, is the compartment adequately vented? Lowpass crossover frequency? Input gain level? How are the input configuration switches set? What is the EQ master volume, zone controls and bass level control set on? What position are the EQ tone controls set on?
The bass boost should be defeated.

David
Old 06-30-2013, 10:01 PM
MC Fanatic

It's a as 10fa 4. Enclosure is the same one I used for the orig clarion 10" 12ga wire and a short run. The left/wrt outputs from the 420 feed 5/6. +(ch6) -(ch5) out. I have to wonder if it could be the Wet Wire. The RCA broke (one of the outside tabs) when plugging it into ch5. However, it's tight. I probably need to go pick up a good 5m RCA and use that and see.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Messing w/ freq and gain. There we go. Rec settings for freq? No tool to measure, so ballpark. Thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 AM
MC Fanatic

The 10fa4 woofer is designed for infinite baffle (which still requires total front to rear acoustic isolation). It will work in a small, sealed enclosure and may even handle a bit more power and may be a bit punchier enclosed, however, the low bass roll-off will be much higher in an enclosure versus in an infinite baffle (for a 10-inch, 2.25 cu.ft to infinite).

David
Old 07-01-2013, 10:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Thanks David. Can you recommend a good starting point for freq setting?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Given that the woofer isn't going very low in a small sealed box in this case, I would want the woofer to produce a linear octave, or at least close to that, so try 110 to 120 Hz lowpass, which will result in a moderate gain setting.

David
Old 07-01-2013, 12:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Excellent. Thank you. This is housed under the driver's side observer seat. Would you recommend I lose the box enclosure for best results? The sub is working quite well now, but want to optimize it as much as possible. It tickles. Thanks again.

Last edited by deminimis; 07-01-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft Xstar 2006 MCX
David i am running the same setup for cabin speakers and sub except its the HT6 and not the syn6. I'm not running any enclosure for my ws10fa but its in the same spot as deminimis. What freq should i be running?

Thanks,Steve
Old 07-04-2013, 12:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Steve,
There is a set presciption to follow but having a set frequency is ignoring all the principles of a quality system tuning.
The sub size, type, enclosure, and location certainly have a bearing. But the number of coaxial/midbass components in the same cockpit, their size, location and mounting are very much a part of the equation. Try listening to any sub in isolation. It sounds drunk and muddy. The bass pitch accuracy comes mainly from the upper harmonics produced by the coaxials/midbass components. So you can't determine the sub lowpass filter frequency independent of the rest of the system.
If you just want a quick answer try 100 to 120 Hz as an average on a free-air/infinite baffle sub. But that is by no means accurate.
Odin, who administrates the Earmark on-line store, sends out a professional 6-page tuning draft to his customers. It makes a great difference in any system. Odin has done live sound engineering for a very long time so he is an expert with a unique understanding of sound equipment and acoustics.

David