Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-03-2013, 11:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenps190 View Post
Spoke to my claims adjuster today. Have appointment at a dealer for the engine on Monday after the 4th. Trying to decide if I have the dealer do the fiberglass repair. The adjuster highly suggested a shop in Tulsa for the glass repair that specializes in boat and RV fiberglass repair.

What do you guys think?
Most retail boat shops, farm-out fiberglass repair.

Fixing the glass isn't that hard, matching existing gelcoat is.

Not that far of a drive from OKC to Tulsa. Tulsa kinda cool. Sooner (pun intended) you get the boat to the 'glassser, sooner it will get into work schedule. Probably looking at a 2 week turn around, once work is started.

Water inlet is very close to underwater gear, recommend checking strut/shaft,etc.

Sorry for your pain.

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC, X9, 2006, RTP-1
Im just curious after reading this thread...

Your wife was driving and hit a submerged tree and did hull and intake damage while you were skiing behind the boat. This damage clogged the intake starving the engine of water causing it to overheat.

So, she hit the tree, heard the impact... and just kept going?
Old 07-03-2013, 05:59 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190, 351 HO
you a lawyer?? Here is a better play by play:

No, I was driving, I hit the log, tree or what ever. We stopped, I got in the water and felt around on the prop to see if I could feel any obvious damage. Keep in mind the bump did not feel very hard.
I got back in the drivers seat, ran it for a couple of minutes and things seemed fine. Shut her down, floated a bit and just hung out ate a sandwhich. Looked and saw no water was coming in, did not feel prop damage so I made the assumption, we are good. Obviously, hind sight is a bit clearer.
That is when I jumped in and skied. When I got back in the boat, I smelled something, glanced at the temp gauge and panic set in. It wasnt until I put it on the trailer that I saw the inlet was damaged. When I was on the water, I assumed the water pump failed.

I don't have a over temp alarm on the boat or it doesn't work....will probably put one in after this.
My wife is an excellent driver but the differance between us is I always watch the gauges...I guess that is why I said she was driving when we over heated.

Soooo now you knowwww the rest of the story.

Hope that fills in your gaps, wasn't really in the mood for all the details when I wrote my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHpage21 View Post
Im just curious after reading this thread...

Your wife was driving and hit a submerged tree and did hull and intake damage while you were skiing behind the boat. This damage clogged the intake starving the engine of water causing it to overheat.

So, she hit the tree, heard the impact... and just kept going?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 410cu ford
if you haven"t done any mods to your engine 351 fords have cast iron heads. the motors are pretty bullet proof
Old 07-05-2013, 11:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2
Cast iron engines are a tank. 220 isn't that hot. You might be pleasantly suprised.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:00 AM
TT Regular

Just dropped my boat off yesterday at the dealer to get an estimate for repair. My plan is mechanical at the dealer and then to a place in Tulsa for the glass work. (Thanks TTU for the help there)

I know I'm a bit OCD but apparently the guy at the dealership thought he was going to "help" me drop the trailer. He stepped over pulled the chains off the truck and literally tossed them over the tongue of the trailer.....I'm sure most people do that but not the ones who the spent hours sandblasting, painting and restoring! What made it even worse is he gave me that......Wow, she is really clean........"for an old boat".
Just got the fingers crossed for a quick recovery!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 12 X-25 its ok old X-10 the best
Sorry too hear that. Glad you are both okay.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:56 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 ProStar 190 LT1
good luck and hopefully you will be back on the water soon

1*
Old 07-18-2013, 03:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '01 X-9
Update?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:45 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtish View Post
Update?
Well, got the estimate for repair. Compression test said long block.
Marine adjuster was at the shop on Monday for final review for insurance.
Waiting for the go ahead from my insurance company. The dealer said once I release them 2-3 weeks.
Hope to get something going this week. I'll be in Asia for the next week and a half so hopefully back in the water shortly after I get back.