Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 07-03-2013, 08:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hig View Post
I tried to have a prop puller made at work but I have to modify the bolt spacing to clear the prop. I really want to get that shaft log removed so I can see the damage and check the shaft to see if it's bent. It was raining so I did not get outside much tonight.

Can someone tell me if the sending unit in the upper left hand corner is stock or does it go with that aftermarket warning buzzer I found?

Thanks, Steve
My sender is not in that location and it doesn't look like what I would consider a "good" location. That is the return for the heater and would have very poor water flow past the sender, especially being on that length of hose. I am pretty sure mine is on the starboard head. I would get you a pic, but my boat is at home and I am on St. George Island until Saturday. Hopefully someone can help out.

It is quite possible that it goes to your buzzer set up, I have no idea. If you have the one on the head and the other that we see on the pump, then it is an add on.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar with a Corvette LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
My sender is not in that location and it doesn't look like what I would consider a "good" location. That is the return for the heater and would have very poor water flow past the sender, especially being on that length of hose. I am pretty sure mine is on the starboard head. I would get you a pic, but my boat is at home and I am on St. George Island until Saturday. Hopefully someone can help out.

It is quite possible that it goes to your buzzer set up, I have no idea. If you have the one on the head and the other that we see on the pump, then it is an add on.
I agree that does not seem like a very good location. I don't have the engine back from the machine shop so I can't check what's in the heads.

Thanks, Steve
Old 07-03-2013, 12:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
You are now a master of older Mastercrafts, my son. Use your knowledge wisely.

Seriously, cool job of using the tools at hand to get'er done. Did you get the shaft out?
I'm far from a Master but I have learned a lot from this site and for that I'm very thankful!!

I did remove the shaft and upon closer investigation I see my strut is bent!!

I was able to get a better look at the shaft log and see that is definately worn thru!!!

You can see the shiney wear from the stuffing box packing and the rubbing from the shaft log on the prop shaft. I will be doing some searching of straightening the strut later to see if I can salvage it, if anyone has any good threads to start with I'd appreciate it!!!! Next week I will have the shaft chucked up in a lathe to see if it's bent or not.

Steve
Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
Bummer, that strut has been bent for awhile.

Boat is looking much better.

Keep it going.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well I decided to order the strut from skidim. They can also get a replacement shaft log for $52.XX so I ordered that also. I did a search on straightening the strut and it didn't sound very encouraging, if I needed to tweak it just a little I would have tried but for how much mine looked bent I decided not to chance it. I figured I have enough to keep me busy until the parts arrive.

Steve
Old 07-03-2013, 08:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Ouch.

There are a couple threads on here recently about replacing the shaft log, although most of the were for older DD boats.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Ouch.

There are a couple threads on here recently about replacing the shaft log, although most of the were for older DD boats.
Aren't most DD fiber glassed in? I was very thankful mine came apart very easy. If anyone has to replace the strut or shaft log I'd recommend pulling the motor, it made it so much easier.

I was able to remove the bolts from the top with my air impact, I did not have to hold the heads from spinning with a screwdriver, next I tapped the bolts down and out.

I was also glad the strut was not stuck to firmly to the hull with silicone, I tapped it with a rubber mallet and it came right off!!

My wife had to hold 2 of the 3 screws in the shaft log, they were spinning on me - I had to use a ratchet on the inside then that came right out.

Does anyone have any easy ways to remove the leftover silicone from the hull or is the finger and finger nail the best way? I could also try a plastic scraper.

I could not believe how bad the strut was bent!!! Pictured also is the worn out shaft log.

I'm glad they came out smoothly, now I just have to wait for the new ones to come in!!

Steve
Old 07-04-2013, 05:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

I also picked up my motor from the machine shop!!!!

Today was humid and overcast at points so it was not a very nice day to play, my boys are away at camp any ways so it was a good day to work on the boat!! I started to clean everything up and paint some things for the reassembly. I have all the bolts wire wheeled and cleaned.

I also wanted to share this tool, maybe some people do know what it's for but it's for loosening rubber hoses after removing the hose clamp. You carefully stick it between the hose and the metal part and gently work it around until it comes off. They come off so much easier with one of these.

I also decided to order a new water pump, I figure I might as well do it now, I'd hate to do it once the boat is back together especially being a V-drive and things are tight in there. I order an ACDelco one from Ebay for a 92 Corvette for around $130 shipped.

I'm making progress!!!
Steve
Old 07-04-2013, 05:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
Great progress hig! I removed silicone from my fiberglass trailer fenders with a plastic scraper and very carefully with a razor blade. A very slow and tedious job.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar vrs 225, 1995,5.7, X2 2005
Hig,
Very nice thread.
Thanks for all the tips!