Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-02-2013, 09:09 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft stars n stripes 1978 351w
'78 master craft neutral sensor

I have replaced everything between the ignition switch and the starter.. solenoid, you name it, everything checks out good. But I still have nothing when I turn on the key...lights and blower work, but not even a click.
The only thing I have left to change out is the sensor on the tranny that must engage and disengage when starting...I'm guessing!? Like a safety?
Anyone have any info on the little gizmo.
There are two wires attached to a nut...which attaches to a three bolt housing ( small) on the exterior of the transmission itself. The nut separates the wire housing...I guess what I need to know, should all of this be replaced...or just the electrical housing?
One day it fired..the next day nothing..
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 stars and stripes
Not sure if this will work but u may connect the to wires together and see if it will start. I think it may b like the safety kill switch. I know that will work on it mine is by passed know due to a faulty switch.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:46 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
It is a neutral safety switch designed so that you can't start it in gear. You can test it with an ohmmeter if the power is off, or with a voltmeter with the power on. You are just looking for continuity. You may find you need to disassemble the throttle assembly and clean it out. My '77 was having a tough time getting the throttle just right and when I opened up the throttle housing, I found original grease which was almost petrified and half a beach worth of sand.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com