Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2013, 03:35 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl xstar View Post
Update.. Dealer still recommends a long block replacement. Before I pull the trigger, I'm going to the dealership on monday with a mechanic to check it out and give a second opinion before I fork over some serious cash. Assuming it needs replacement, we are getting a Jasper remanufactured long block which from my basic searches show they produce legit engines. Cost: $5,570 plus labor, appr $2,000. I'm still in shock that the boat ran fine the week I took it in for an oil change and now I'm looking at a new engine.

With essentially a new engine, I can reset my engine hours, no? Of course I'd always disclose boat hull hours but with this type of money being put out, I REALLY want my engine hour clock reset!

If anyone from the Mastercraft company or Indmar is reading this: a 2007 boat with 320 hours SHOULD NEVER NEED AN ENGINE REPLACED.
If they're going to recommend this, they had better be dam sure of why it's needed. I would want an oil sample, to send in for analysis, too. They can determine all kinds of things from that. Count on taking a quart, if possible.

This happened on their premises, on their watch. Talk to a lawyer about this- it doesn't seem probable.

If you take a mechanic, see if they'll let him look further into this than the dealer apparently has. If they saw spun bearings and declared it "toast", it's a weak diagnosis, IMO. If other bearings show the same problem, it would seem that the oiling failed, for whatever reason. If your mechanic sees evidence of bluing, it means oil wasn't getting where it should have been and I'd be asking some questions that would make the dealership owner very uncomfortable if it was my boat. I wouldn't worry about making friends with the dealer if I were you. If your mechanic sees something fishy, document it and get photos- lots of them, with plenty of good light and a date/time stamp. E-mail at least one photo to yourself and your friend before you start shooting and e-mail the new ones, too- that way, it's verifiable.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:38 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl xstar View Post
Thrall, gotjag- dealership has gone down this path of needing to replace so they have me by the bals since if I say no, then I will have to fork up at least 1500 with nothing to show for it and will have to start over with another dealership nearby (nautique). I'm really hoping this trusted mechanic my family has known for decades will be able to at least verify rod bearing damage. And yes I will find out what caused such a problem and hopefully the ECM will have some clues. Dealership was totally cool with a second opinion so they must have some confidence that a third party will see the same problems.

To get my mind off it all, I'm heading out on a buddy's SAN to wake surf today but I already know the grief I'm going to get about this saga since like you guys and most level minded people agree that this situation doesn't add up.

Thanks for the feedback and opinions guys... This board is both informative and therapeutic!
You can take the ECM to a MC dealer or send it to MC for scanning- I don't know if their program is proprietary, like it was before. If it overheated, it will definitely show up unless it was cleared. Hopefully, the date of last data dump will be stored, too. If it was cleared after you took it to them, get ready to do battle.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
I feel for you, this is painful to read. Understanding Jim's earlier comments about running an engine without oil etc. My only input is that I sold a car to a bloke with a very nice v8 in it some years ago. He spun bearings in the bottom end and we deduced rightly or wrongly that the problem was he never warmed this motor up in the mornings. He would back out his drive and launch to 6000rpm with a clear conscience. Only thing that saved him was I had the crank Nitrided so the mechanic could get away with just bearings. Jim's comments on overheating history would be interesting. I don't want to plant damaging ideas in your mind, but wonder whether an apprentice changing oil could have started the engine and given it a few big revs whilst stone cold and lacking oil pressure? Have Fun????
Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
this whole saga sucks man. my boat had 320 hours on it when i bought it, got 545 on it now. if you do end up replacing it (which i hope isnt necessary), dibs on the old block? i've been wanting to rebuild an engine for a long time.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
this whole saga sucks man. my boat had 320 hours on it when i bought it, got 545 on it now. if you do end up replacing it (which i hope isnt necessary), dibs on the old block? i've been wanting to rebuild an engine for a long time.
Remanufacturers pay for the core. If they don't pay much (the old 3.0L used by Mercruiser, etc were getting $1500 in 2000 because so many had been frozen and the number available were dropping so fast), it cam be sold or rebuilt.

If this was my boat, I would repair the bottom end after inspecting the cam, valves, etc. The problem in this case, is that it's the beginning of the new season and the problem didn't present itself until very recently. I still think I would look for cylinder wall cracks.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
I would but as JimN notes, the reman companies typically pay for the core. In this case, Jasper will pay $1,800 if I go that route.

Still hoping my mechanic is free today so we can have a look and ask all the questions i've gathered from the suggestions on here. More to come..
Old 05-20-2013, 05:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Stars and Stripes
Fly JimN down to take a look. That would give some absolute understanding of the situation. Talk about making a statement...'My mechanic is flying in from Wisconsin to take a look at this...'
Old 05-20-2013, 05:26 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
[quote=jdl xstar;937068]Update.. Dealer still recommends a long block replacement. *** I'm still in shock that the boat ran fine the week I took it in for an oil change and now I'm looking at a new engine.***

Something smells bad here. If I were to take my wife's BMW to the BMW dealer with no problems then all of the sudden the engine has a knock and needs replacement, I would not pay out of my pocket for a new engine. Sounds like the dealer did something wrong (forgot to fill it with oil intially?) Problem is, how do you prove they did something wrong? If they did, I'm sure they have business insurance that would cover them.

I think most techs would tell you that a spun bearing is the result of lack of lubrication.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
Ok folks.. the boat is ready for pick up. Its been in the shop for exactly 3 months. I haven't seen the final bill yet but I'm bracing myself for some big numbers.

They put in a new Jaspers 8.1l long block as well as replaced the exhaust risers and manifolds. We decided that since the block was new, to go ahead and replace the manifolds and risers to avoid putting old parts on new parts.

I have yet to drive it but the dealership said it runs great it's like new again. I get an 18 month parts and labor warranty with the new block.

With that being said, I have reluctantly come to the decision to sell this boat. I am getting married later this summer and I have checked my "boating calendar" and literally have perhaps 1-2 weekend days free for the next several months and I'd just rather free myself of this thing and look for another one at a later date when things are less chaotic around here.

I will post an official "for sale " listing later this week with new pictures and stats but for anyone who is curious, this boat is loaded with fun options I assure you AND it has the 8.1l engine that is "new" but I'm unable to reset the engine hours. Boat hull has 320 hrs. For serious inquiries, i welcome test drives if you are willing to come to orlando. I'm 25 minutes north of the airport in Winter Park.

I can say that someone will be fortunate to not only have a loaded X Star with the 8.1l but they will be getting a new engine with a solid warranty.

Who knows.. the moment I get in the boat, I may decide to keep it but for now, its for sale.