Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2013, 11:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Is the 205v a mediocre surfboat........ I say beginner just to intermediate, intermediate is a relative term. It's not a great surf wave but it will get you surfing and able to do 360's. the wakeboard wake tho will make up for the mediocre surf wave. If you a really are more concerned about a better surf wake and a lesser wakeboard wake check out an x10 or a maristar 210. Tons of room and it handles rough water and lounging on the lake perfectly. The interior is wide open and it has a deeper v entry into the water to cut down on chop. If you are wanting to just surf have fun and pass the time the 205v is plenty. If you want to progress and do surf style tricks you may want to go another route.

In 06-07 Moomba really amped up their boats with new hull designs and build aspects making them 10 fold what they were prior. So I wouldn't hesitate on a newer model. It has almost twice the space of the 205v inside as well as twice the storage. The newer Moomba hull also surfs a ton better.

That price on the 205v is very solid. I wouldn't wait too long I it may disappear right out from under you. Clean older v drives especially with those hours are not easy to find. I think that boat shod be fetching a lot closer to 30 than you're paying.

It's a tough call obviously this is a Mastercraft site so you are going to find votes on the 205v all day long. It is a proven legend in wakeboarding. It was the longest running hull in MC history. It will be a better built boat hands down than the LSV. The wakeboard wake will blow the Lsv's away in shape and amplitude . It will feel much more solid and have great resale.......hell if you get it for 25k you could probably keep it for 2-3 seasons and sell it for exactly that at the rate boat prices are going. However in your case you kind of have to decide what's more important. The 205v interior fills up fast with coolers and adults. The LSV would be much more conducive to a day on the lake with coolers people and gear. It has more storage for towels, snacks and backpacks. It will also have a better surf wake provided it has the adjustable wake plate. If you wanted to really beat out that LSV and get everything the LSV has and more in the MC line it would be a Maristar 210/X10
.in the price range you're at, but again that's really good deal on that boat being a 9-10 and having the MCX.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 205v ltr
205v surf wave is short and steep even with optimal weighting. Otherwise an outstanding boat. I have 1050 hours on mine and love it.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
I've got an '01 205v and I pulled the center bag out. We don't surf and my son is just learning to wakeboard so with just the rear bags we have plenty of wake for us. Mine only has 2 switches on the dash but only 1 is wired to only 1 pump that filled all 3 bags. I'm thinking the previous owner added the bags and went cheap by putting in only 1 pump. I do have ball valves so that I could fill only 1 side if I wanted to.
Also, I bought mine March of 2012 with 390 hours and I paid 20k so I think 25k for that boat with those hours is a good deal.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty75 View Post
That is a great looking boat. I am not familiar with the cruise on there. Maybe it is a MC cruise or something. Like swatguy said, it all depends on what is important to you. I would love to have a 205v but I would also like a maristar 210 or x10, simply bc I am on a larger lake and it is supposed to handle big water a little easier. I have a friend with an X30, which is much larger, but it is smooth in rough water. Let us know what you decide, but you better make that decision quick especially with the 4th a few days away. Someone will snatch it up.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Swatguy is spot on. Surf wake is mediocre at best. It's rideable, but I honestly don't like surfing behind mine. The surf wake is really steep. The wakeboard wake is awesome. I doubt you could find a better wakeboarding boat for $25k. Interior room and storage are tight, especially if you are running with full ballast. 6 people is about max loaded out for wakeboarding.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x1 2006
For that price with bare bones hours, you'd better jump on that. Its a very popular hull. Great wake, and weighted correctly a nice surf wave.

PM me with any questions. I own that hull. Its my thrid MC, but my favorite hull for lots of reasons.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:03 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mainship Pilot 30
Still my favorite hull even after owning an X15. I'd say the surf wave is far better than mediocre, I was just out yesterday on one and almost landed a pop shove it on the surfboard, and a 3 also. It was better than my washed out 15 wave
Old 06-30-2013, 07:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x1 2006
I agree with Aric's X15 on the surf wave. The wave is steep, but for a good surfer it creates a lot of speed. I ocean surf lots and its more comparable to an ocean wave in the steepness. The pro wakesurfer on our lake who bought the 205v for its steep wave categorizes it as an expert wave for the fact that its so steep, but has a shorter pocket. He doesn't use it for his lessons He runs an IBS in the bow, KPG full and an extra 400 in the bow walkway. This to go with the 750's and an extra 400+ 3 fat bricks on surf side near the rear.

Great wave, I'll try to get a pic for you.