Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2013, 08:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaCraft View Post
A DA in the automotive world is a Disc Action sander. I took that as wanting to use with ultra fine wet sanding. Ive seen that before and doesnt turn out so well. We call what you refer to as DA posher as an orbital buffer. I use one frequently too. Great to use with liquid wax but for compounding etc.. A variable speed buffer is the only way to go.
Close Buddy!

DA is dual action not disc! But you have the description correctly. Using the word Orbital or random or dual action means that instead of having central axle around which the pad spins (like say a drill or angle grinder) There is actually a central axis with an offset connection to the pad, the offset rotates as does the central with the concept being that if you sit in one place the pad never "turns" in one spot.

DA's are great because they don't burn paint. BUT like you nailed - they don't remove the layers. So when you want to throw a nice buff job on the hood of a Mercedes benz that DA won't screw up the paint - but when you want to remove oxidation you won't do it with dual action.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-55, 2011, 6.0L
Yes, good catch. I had the ultra fine sanding disc on my mind when typing.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaCraft View Post
I have over 20 years as a cutom painter and my dad owned a custom paint shop so hear me out. You most likely do not need to sand. You definitely do not need to use a DA! I didnt sand my old 92 PS when i bought it and you could read a newspaper in it when i got done. Use ONLY 3M polishing products. Others have too many fillers and will leave your job looking crappy in a few weeks. You will need 4 stages(wool pad + compound, low cut wool pad + imperial, and then waffle pad + Perfect It finishing glaze then wax). Probably 6 if you sand. You can get different cut wool pads too which should further reduce need To sand. Go to a local automotive paint & body supply store and get you some 3M compound, 3M imperial glaze and some perfect it finishing glaze, buffing pad and a pack of waffle pads. They should help you with what you need....maybe a Velcro pad for your buffer too. Makita makes a great variable speed buffer if you need one. Cover the interior, buff in shade, and i would mask off rub rail etc so no compound can get in crevaces. Id even throw sheets over rails on trailer it will make life easier when cleaning.

Feel free to pm me any questions.
This is your answer. Once you complete this I would then throw a coat or two of the 3M Marine Wax. I can get you the 3M UPC codes and part numbers for all of these in the AM. I will also check to see if j have it in my sample stock, If I do I will send it to you if you cover shipping. The stuff is not cheap.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X star
So you guys talked me into getting a rotary. Is makita one of the best? I'm definitely going with 3m marine line. Where is the best place to by pads buffer and 3m?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 X-Star
I cant speak towards the 3M products, but the Makita buffer is very nice. I had one for forever until I dropped it in the water. Now I have the Dewalt, IIRC it is a few pounds lighter than the Makita which makes it a little easier on the arms. Any of the name brand power tool manufactures make comparable products. Milwaukee is also very good. Good deals on used machines (they are very durable, I wouldn't worry about purchasing a used one) can be found on ebay/CL.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Makita BO6040. Great all around machine for detailing cars and boats. It's a random and circular machine in one.

As for pads. Lake County are about the best out there.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 07-01-2013, 07:35 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 Correct Craft Ski Nautique 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonmc View Post
So you guys talked me into getting a rotary. Is makita one of the best? I'm definitely going with 3m marine line. Where is the best place to by pads buffer and 3m?
Smart shoppers is a popular (good priced) place to get the 3m stuff, but I just ordered them from Amazon today. Even better prices.

Super Duty Rubbing Compound
Perfect it II Rubbing Compound
Finesse it II
Wax
rubber sanding block
Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X star
So going with this set up.

So for compound I'm going 3M imperial
Then follow with Perfect it polish, not sure if I should continue to use rotary or switch to DA at this step?
Then finish with Scotch gard Marine liquid wax

I think I'm going with the Makita 9227 CX3 with 7" hook and loop. Comes with Wool and polishing pad.

Any tips would be be great. My oxidation is pretty light and most of my boat is white with only a small black area that wraps around boat.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 10:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 X-Star
You really do not need to use a DA polisher, at any stage. Polishing gelcoat with a orbital polisher won't leave swirls or holograms.

Tips I've found helpful over the years:
1) Be careful around rubber/decals/sharp edges because the heat from the pad can melt them.
2) Wash the pad a few times during each stage to keep product from building up
3) Let the machine do the work
4) Hold the machine at an angle against the surface (look up a video of someone polishing and you will see what I mean)

Start on an area that wont be seen to get the hang of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5kfYz9Ybw
Old 07-01-2013, 10:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I've posted my method and results many times.

3M Super Duty With a Wool Pad on a circular
3M Perfect It II with an Orange foam Pad on a circular
Meguires Polish (Step 2 of their 3 Step) with a White foam pad on an orbital
Your Favorite 100% Carnuba Wax with a Red foam pad on an orbital

I've brought back some really heavily oxidized boats with this. Make a couple of passes with the compound if necessary.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy