Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
New Driver

My son has been an accomplished boat driver for several years. Yesterday he passed a new milestone - he successfully pulled me on the air chair for 4 or 5 runs. Great throttle control on pull out, only overshot the target speed once, and maintained speed nicely. Even did good enough bringing the rope back around me. This is good, because after 8 years with the boat, at the age of 11 he did better than my wife normally does (Sorry, honey).
Old 06-29-2013, 08:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
My son has been an accomplished boat driver for several years. Yesterday he passed a new milestone - he successfully pulled me on the air chair for 4 or 5 runs. Great throttle control on pull out, only overshot the target speed once, and maintained speed nicely. Even did good enough bringing the rope back around me. This is good, because after 8 years with the boat, at the age of 11 he did better than my wife normally does (Sorry, honey).
I look forward to the days when my kids can and want to drive me. I visited a private lake in Indiana once where this guy showed up with his 16yo daughter. They took me for a few spins and I left thinking how cool it was that they share those experiences together. With a very capable son and some head-strong daughters (get it from their mom ) I hope/expect them all to be good drivers.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
Congrats! It is nice to have another driver.

Our son (12 yr old) has been pulling me barefoot and boarding for the past year. He has been in and out of our boats since he was 3 mo old. When he was 8, I introduced him to driving and progressively have given him more control. He sucessfully passed his boating license test this past Wednesday (TN law for anyone born after 1989). Now he can help with the boat while I tend to the houseboat. Of course I told him not ask to ever go out alone.....not going to happen.

It is a great way for bonding between father and son. Honestly, he is a better driver than most people who we have taken out. He knows how to properly set up for runs and not send rollers down the coves when coming back to me. He knows to idle past anchored boats when they are tied up in the coves......again, better than most of the boaters that think because they slow down they are helping.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '08 X14 sold, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Huge congrats ... Great to see our kids grow up and succeed
Old 06-30-2013, 10:08 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Very nice!

My 22 year old daughter has been my main driver for the last 8 years or so and she does great.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:33 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Congrats on your young driver, it's great to get them started early.

I just have to ask though, 11 is pretty young. Our state (NJ) requires all operators of power boats to have a boaters safety certificate and be at least 16 years old, even out of state boat drivers who are boating in NJ. What's your states min age?