Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-21-2013, 12:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2 MCX w/ 07 Tower
X2 Stereo Upgrades: Help me build a system

Hey everyone,

Its been a loong time since I've dealt with car audio stuff (much less marine audio). I'm savvy enough to install a simple amp + a sub application in a car, but not really all to comfortable doing a overhaul on the factory system of a boat. I'm comfortable w/ the install process, but would like some help on the components..

Here's what I have:

Factory JL system w/ 4 interior speakers, a 10in sub and 2 tower speakers. All running off of 6 channel 6450M amp.

Here's what I'd like to do:
-Upgrade to better/louder tower speakers (keeping them in the factory cans) and JL speaker
-Adding an additional amp
-Upgrade the sub to a better quality

Ideas:
-No clue on the amp - Suggestions?

-Tower speakers - no clue - Suggestions?

-Sub - Was thinking of possibly removing the sub and adding a Bazooka tube in the storage compartment where the stock sub is installed. Unless a higher quality free-air sub would sound better?

All in all, I'm not a big fan of dropping $5k on a sound system for the boat.. I would feel more comfortable keeping it around $1500 or less.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Mastercraft S&S
Tower speakers I would go with either some rev8s or rev10s. I know you want to stay with stick cans but these come in cans..

Amp maybe a syn4 for the towers. Then run all your cabin stuff (including sub) off the current amp. This should work well unless you are planning to go crazy with the sub. As for a sub a good moderate sub is the jl w3.

There are fare more qualified members on here that can help you but this will at least give you some food for though.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:21 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Definitely go for class D amps as way more efficient and much smaller footprint. I'm running the new polks and they have tons of power and a reasonable price tag.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
In order to make your budget work you should maintain as much of your existing system as possible.
You will not find a better 10-inch infinite baffle sub than a JL Audio M IB series. But it needs better supply wire, more power and a re-tuning. If you want better than that you will have to convert over to a woofer/enclosure combination. You are going backwards with a Bazooka tube and it gets worse concealed from within a seating or helm console rather than direct-radiating.
The loudest speaker that will fit within the factory 7.7-inch pods is the HolloPoint 770 HLCD. If you want louder then you have to go bigger with a pod replacement. In that case, Wetsounds is the clear choice.
For budgetary reasons, you'll have to use your existing 6450 amplifier for now, even if you only use four of the six channels to drive the in-boats. You need a separate amplifier for the tower and could use a separate amplifier for the sub, whether you maintain the existing sub or eventually upgrade.
You can't improve on the JL Audio 7.7" in-boat components, if that is what you have and their condition is good. However, they could definitely use more power than the 6450 but you cannot address everything without slipping in quality.
Every towboat should have two pair of fullrange speakers in the cockpit. An extra pair of matching 7.7s or 6.5s using two available channels of the 6450 would really help.

David
Old 06-24-2013, 12:40 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2 MCX w/ 07 Tower
Thanks for all the info, guys! This has helped in the process!

I would really like to figure out how I could add a 12in enclosure to the boat, but keeping the stock configuration. I feel a single 10in sub will never be adequate enough to fill the "open air" space of a boat.

My initial thoughts are to keep the stock 6450 amp to run the interior speakers and getting an additional amp to run the upgraded tower speakers and bigger/upgrade sub... Which would bring up additional question -- would two amps be needed for tower/sub or would one work fine to run both components?

David, thank you for all your input. I would be interested in the price of the HollowPoint 770 HLCD's (PM me if needed). I tried to search your site for JUST the speakers w/out the cans and wasn't able to really find them.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: matrix sorrento 2006 315 mrcruiser
Rather than starting a new thread thought id extend on this. I have 2007 X2 with std JL cockpit and bow speakers hooked up to amp M4300 class A/B as shown, which also powers JL tower speakers in std cans.

Planning for some upgrades as follows;
Would like to power the tower JLs on a separate amp to get the max watts to them, what JL amp is suggested? Btw i have 2 tower spkrs only, just wanting to get max power to them, not into pumping so much volume to the rider so much
Planning to add 2 JL cockpit speakers to the rear cockpit under rear seat to run off exist amp, which JL speaker is suggested, not with the separate tweater, just wanting to get fuller volume inside?
Will also add the WS420

So the result will be
6 cabin spkrs of the exist. 4 ch Jl
2 towers of a new JL amp

My sub is all sorted, runs of its own Mono block amp so no changes here
I want to maintain JL gear and not change to other brands

Thanks

Last edited by g-mantrix; 06-30-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:04 AM
MC Fanatic

The M4300 is good power. That same amplifier under newer CEA2006 rating standards is 500 watts at 2-ohms with a 14.4 volt supply.
The tower needs more power per speaker than the in-boat speakers do. If you have one pair of 7.7" tower speakers then I would bridge a JL Audio M400/4 to the tower. The 7.7s are rated at 175 watts RMS thermal and the bridged M400/4 will deliver (as tested) 200 watts per side with a 12.6 volt supply.

David
Old 06-30-2013, 08:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: matrix sorrento 2006 315 mrcruiser
Thanks David, your feedback on this stuff I always look forward to. To answer your question re tower spkrs, yes they are 1 pair of 7.7s.
So the M400 sounds like the solution, is too much power likely to damage spkrs?
Old 06-30-2013, 11:29 AM
MC Fanatic

No. The JL Audio 770 speakers are rated at 175 watts each. The 12.6 V power as tested (far more realistic than the 14.4 V rating) for the M400/4 is 200 watts per side. The tower speakers will be run highpass rather than fullrange which gives you a little extra capacity. I could safely run double that power but then I have zero tolerance for distortion/compression/clipping while others could destroy a speaker in an hour. You have nothing to worry about if you are the type of person who shows any degree of care for your possessions. This is also enough power if you upgarde to a HollowPoint HLCD in the future.
Get with Odin about bridging instructions. There are several ways to go but only one correct way in a tower application.

David