Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-29-2013, 08:19 PM
kenps190's Avatar
kenps190 kenps190 is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Boat: '92 Prostar 190, 351 HO
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 66
May have just ended the season!

Hit a submerged tree today, wife was driving and didn't see the temp gauge needle reading over 220 degrees. I was skiing, By the time I got back in the boat the damage was already done.
The tree broke the water intake and clogged with debris restricting almost all of the water flow into the engine. It also did fiberglass damage on the stern. The engine got hot enough to warp the exhaust tips and lost both flappers.

Just got home with a new inlet but not sure if it is worth installing to hook up the fake lake.

My guess it's new block time.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-29-2013, 08:24 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,648
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Sorry to read....
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 PM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenps190 View Post
Hit a submerged tree today, wife was driving and didn't see the temp gauge needle reading over 220 degrees. I was skiing, By the time I got back in the boat the damage was already done.
The tree broke the water intake and clogged with debris restricting almost all of the water flow into the engine. It also did fiberglass damage on the stern. The engine got hot enough to warp the exhaust tips and lost both flappers.

Just got home with a new inlet but not sure if it is worth installing to hook up the fake lake.

My guess it's new block time.
Call your insurance agent.

There's no guarantee that it's all toast. Since it will require some exhaust parts anyway, make a list of what definitely needs replacing and start with the obvious. Test the compression but run it with a better water supply than a Fake A Lake will provide, especially if your water supply's volume isn't higher than what the raw water pump draws.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Ryan's Avatar
Ryan Ryan is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2007 X1
Location: Cincy
Posts: 3,118
Yikes!
__________________
My 2007 X1 is for sale.
Click here.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Jerseydave's Avatar
Jerseydave Jerseydave is offline
TT Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Location: Jersey
Posts: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Call your insurance agent.

There's no guarantee that it's all toast. Since it will require some exhaust parts anyway, make a list of what definitely needs replacing and start with the obvious. Test the compression but run it with a better water supply than a Fake A Lake will provide, especially if your water supply's volume isn't higher than what the raw water pump draws.
^I agree!

Put your intake hose into a bucket and run the engine that way making sure the bucket is always full of water. You may get lucky since your engine is a cast iron.
__________________
I was njskier on here.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-30-2013, 12:11 AM
Lumbergh's Avatar
Lumbergh Lumbergh is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Location: Seattle
Posts: 758
Bummer, sorry to read that.

Hope it works out for you.
__________________
1991 ProStar / 351W with 1:1 Velvet Drive
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-30-2013, 12:20 AM
hondaprlud hondaprlud is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: None right now. :(
Location: Kent, OH-IO
Posts: 442
Sorry to hear

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-30-2013, 09:16 AM
kenps190's Avatar
kenps190 kenps190 is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Boat: '92 Prostar 190, 351 HO
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
^I agree!

Put your intake hose into a bucket and run the engine that way making sure the bucket is always full of water. You may get lucky since your engine is a cast iron.
Thanks guys, I'm going to try this today. Still waiting for my insurance guy to call me back.
Hopefully it won't be as bad as I think.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 AM
kenps190's Avatar
kenps190 kenps190 is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Boat: '92 Prostar 190, 351 HO
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 66
Spoke to my claims adjuster today. Have appointment at a dealer for the engine on Monday after the 4th. Trying to decide if I have the dealer do the fiberglass repair. The adjuster highly suggested a shop in Tulsa for the glass repair that specializes in boat and RV fiberglass repair.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-03-2013, 12:23 AM
88 PS190 88 PS190 is online now
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,451
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
I'd have the dealer take a look first - my guess engine isn't toast - but who knows, most boat engines are run somewhat too cold most of the time, figure that most 350 small block chevies in cars run 190-210 as standard range.

Biggest issue with this in boats is that the open loop cooling system will boil at the same temp as water on the stove, the antifreeze with a pressure cap in a truck will keep the boil down.

So if the coolant boiled out in the heads, and particularly in aluminum heads - that can give you some issues, but then again... depends.

I've seen "boat" specialty guys screw up hulls, guy on our lake had an MC with a repair after a skeg strike - boat never skied properly again. They basically made a step in the hull.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:21 PM.