Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2013, 06:22 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1985 MC Skier 190
Unhappy 1985 S&S emotional rollercoaster

I'm new to the forum but have been skiing behind our family's 1985 Mastercraft 19 Skier for 19 yrs. (I'm 36) Had a Rinker and a Bayliner before making the switch that forever changed my way of water life. To make a long story short, when I got married 9 yrs ago we still used the boat frequently. Minor maintenance issues here and there but nothing that shut us down for a season. Marriage produced 2 kids for me over the course of 4 yrs. We had the boat in for the first and second years of the 7 yr old and after that our freetime/laketime diminished drastically. This year is the 1st time we've pulled the boat out of storage to get it running and get the 7 yr old up on skis. We knew that after sitting for some time we had lots of work in front of us. In short, we installed a new fuel filter, new coil, new points, new speedos, and a new carb, among other small things. A friend helped us with the work and today was the final water test before we hauled it back to our lake and enjoyed it for the weekend. As the trailer was backed into the water and a friend was holding onto the boat at the public access, a pontoon came screaming in "trying to fight the waves" and rammed into our stern. The person holding the boat was in the driver's seat and ended up in the back of the boat. It was a hard hit. The teak platform was crushed and broke in 2 and the blower vent and surrounding fiberglass were damaged. (I tried to post pictures but the upload kept failing....I have them down to 96kb but no luck....can someone help me post them?)

Anyway, the guy was reasonably embarrassed and kept repeating that he'd "make it right". To us, this boat is a classic. We were planning on peeling the decals off this winter and wet sanding the gelcoat to bring back the luster. Now, it seems that we will have a mismatched swim platform and a crummy gelcoat match on the stern. None of us are too upset; we actually find it comical. We were so stoked to have it running good and get the young ones (re)acquainted with the water and tackle the hull and other cosmetics during our long Indiana winter. Now, I don't know what to say or do! It's usable, aside from the swim platform. We will be getting a quote from the marina for the damage and when we do, the driver of the other boat said he will cover it all. We have his info. It was him and his family; all Amish.

Any advice or insight on repairs/similar instances/what to do would be helpful. We love this boat and are all sick over this mishap!!
Old 06-28-2013, 06:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
Talk to Teakworld. They can build you a new replacement platform. I have recently dealt with them and service is top notch!
Old 06-28-2013, 06:40 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1985 MC Skier 190
Thanks. I just called and left them a message!
Old 06-28-2013, 06:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Where do you live? Maybe someone has a recommendation for a good fiberglass repair shop. They should be able to match well enough that you can hardly tell.