Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2008, 12:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakechic2786
I thought about them. I checked their website last night and didn't find one on there. I'm hoping the actual store might have one.
Good Luck.............Don't forget to cut the old oil filter in half and look for metal.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Boatless at the moment =(
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickskier
Good Luck.............Don't forget to cut the old oil filter in half and look for metal.
Yeah, I am. I'm hoping it picked up just about all of it. I can see where those brass gears where a bad idea. That one was only in that motor for about 90hrs. When the man who had it before me put the new block and manifolds in it, he did away with the distributor, added the coil packs, and installed the shaft with the brass oil pump drive gear. It went bad that quickly!
Old 04-13-2008, 12:19 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Quote:
Yeah, I am. I'm hoping it picked up just about all of it. I can see where those brass gears where a bad idea. That one was only in that motor for about 90hrs. When the man who had it before me put the new block and manifolds in it, he did away with the distributor, added the coil packs, and installed the shaft with the brass oil pump drive gear. It went bad that quickly!
If all you find is brass that's good. However, if you find shinny silver specs that's usually from the lifters or the cam.

Last edited by trickskier; 04-13-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickskier
If all you find is brass that's good. However, if you find shinny silver specs that's usually from the lifters or the cam.
Yeah, that's what I am hoping for. I really don't think that it had enough time to do any damage. I am very causious about that kind of stuff. As soon as I know that something isn't right I shut it off and don't start it back. Rather be safe than sorry! And those pieces of brass are as thin as hair from where it gradually shaved them off. So, maybe they weren't big enough to cause any damage. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 04-13-2008, 12:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
I take back what I said earlier. I just got off the phone with the original owner and he did NOT do away with the ditributor and add the coil packs. It came from the factory like that. So that gear had about 295 hours on it.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:10 PM
MC Master Poster

The LTR and LT-1 never had a distributor in the boats. It's also not a matter of just installing coil packs- the ECM needs to know where the crank is in order to provide spark at the right time, which the distributor can only do by being set to correct base timing or the crank sensors do on the LT-1, or in some cases, a cam sensor. Also, brass or bronze is used because it is the weaker/softer metal and it's less of a problem that losing gear teeth on a cam. You generally won't see teeth rusted together when the metals are dissimilar, the way I have seen when a boat sat for three years.

Last edited by JimN; 04-13-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
NAPA's normally have an excess of odd bits like that, not big ticket items that go on the website but they have them.

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:05 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1999, LTR 330HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakechic2786 View Post
I take back what I said earlier. I just got off the phone with the original owner and he did NOT do away with the ditributor and add the coil packs. It came from the factory like that. So that gear had about 295 hours on it.
Wakechic, I am having the same problems you have described. Did you find the gear, if so where? A part number would be great. Thanks, Rich
Old 06-28-2013, 01:57 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Any word as to what it was? It does sound like it was a bearing problem, did you check the oil level each time you went out?

If you stave a motor of oil it will prematurely fail. The Oil pump runs off the crank, which has about 16 journal bearings, two per bearing location. I think an upper and lower. When you starve the bearings of oil you get ride of the oil film that makes them nice and slippery and the metal on metal rubs away the surface. This rubbing will wear down the journal bearing materiel (looks like a half moon of a thin metal) enough that most of your oil will pour out of one of your bearings, path of least resistance, and starve your other bearings which will cause them to wear down as well if you really run your motor hard and not shut it down quickly. Back to the oil pump, they do fail but mostly the pick up screen falls off and you can just add a quart more oil to make sure the pump is submerged in the oil bath, which can cause a oil mess if your crank seals are leaking in your bilge. If you have a borescope you can drain your oil and remove the remote oil line and scope your engine from the oil drain line to see what your oil screen pick up looks like. They have them online for $80-$180 for the home usage.

Well I hope this helps. I might be wrong with the number of bearings but you get the idea on how they work.

Jared
Old 06-28-2013, 04:55 AM

Boat: 06 X30
This thread is 5 years old and the problem was found, fixed and posted for others to learn from.