Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar with a Corvette LT1
I was hoping someone would reply and say "no, the packing is good for 1000's of hours".

Now is definitely the time to do it I guess.

I might even be able to lift the bell housing side of the trans up some to gain more clearance.

How do I know if the cutlass bearing is good, do I just check for uneven wear on the sides?

Thanks for the good advice.

Thanks, Steve
Old 06-27-2013, 08:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Before:

After:

I cleaned everything up, painted the speaker grills and bought 4 plastic cup holders, the two in the rear seat were cracked on the lips. I took four of the cushions to a neighbor of a friend to have the seams resewn where they came apart, they aren't perfect but they look much better. She just used a hooked needle to restitch them.

Unfortunately the speakers are junk but the grills look good. I figure a new stereo system is WAY down on the list!!

I finally have the mooring cover all cleaned up and reinstalled. I dropped the engine parts off to the rebuilder, he said it should be done the middle of next week.

I will be placing a Skidim order soon!!

Steve
Old 06-27-2013, 09:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Yeah, if you've got that access to the stuffing box, do it now. The gore-tex packing is nice in that, after adjusting once or twice, you probably won't have to adjust again for a long time. The flax packing needs adjustment every now and then; a 5 minute job on a PS190 but quite a bit more for us.

For the cutlass bearing, I'd pull the stuffing box hose off the shaft log, and check how much play you can feel in the transmission side of the propshaft (only the cutlass bearings and your hand should be supporting the propshaft). A little bit of play is fine, a lot of play isn't. If the propshaft wants to lean against the side of the shaft log (strut is bent and needs to be fixed and cutlass bearings will be worn to one side) or if there is a lot more play left-right than up-down (or vice versa), I'd swap out the cutlass bearings.

Things are looking real good there. Hope you're on the water soon.

/frank
Old 06-28-2013, 01:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post

Hope you're on the water soon.

/frank

I don't think this is what you meant!! This is what I woke up to. My garage floor and part my basement was wet but no real damage, just clean up.

I also have a 2 family apartment house that has a basement full of water that I'm pumping out now. Probably will lose the furnace but other than that there's not much down there but there will be a lot of yard work.

It could have been a lot worse!!
Steve
Old 06-30-2013, 08:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Is this part called the shaft log? I removed the hose clamps and slid the stuffing box rubber hose forward and found this:

There is plastic missing on the bottom of the shaft log all the way back to the fiberglass, I'm assuming the shaft must have wore thru it? Am I correct? On the outside of the boat it does look oval where the shaft passes thru.

Any advice on removing the prop without a prop knocker or special C clamp tool? I've sprayed it with PB Blaster and carefully pryed on the hub while hitting the prop with a rubber mallet. My gas tank is removed so if I get the prop off I should be able to slide the shaft out, I have the 4 coupling bolts removed and had the hub separated. What's the best to lube the cutlass bearing to remove the shaft easier?

I really need some advice and if I'm using the wrong terms for the parts please correct me, I will be ordering some parts and I'd like to be able to call things by the correct name.

BTW the motor is still removed so I'm not concerned by the alignment currently.

Thanks, Steve
Old 06-30-2013, 09:22 PM
MC Devotee

Lot's of threads on pulling the prop on here. First hint: Leave the prop nut on a few threads; you don't want the prop popping loose and clanging on the ground (or your toe). I got a two-jaw gear puller from Harbor Freight (make sure it's big enough), tightened it down, then whacked on the end of it which popped it loose. Others have used a 2x4 and a big hammer to whack on the back side of the prop. Or, you can beg, borrow, or steal a real prop puller.

You'll have to remove the coupler from the transmission end also. You're gonna have the same kind of problem - simply removing the nut that holds the coupler on won't release the propshaft. People have had good success with similar approaches as the propshaft - or you can drill four holes in a piece of steel plate, put four bolts through and screw them into the coupler, and tighten them down to put force on the propshaft to push it out of the coupler. Once you have the coupler removed, the propshaft will slide right out the back of the boat - no need to lubricate the strut bearing in this situation. If you do want to lubricate, use water (or the "personal lubricant" of your choice) - petroleum based lubes may destroy the rubber inside the bearing.

Now let's talk about that shaft log. If you've worn through the side of it, you're going to leak water into the boat. That's generally a bad thing, especially since the shaft log represents a fairly big hole in the bottom of the boat. I've never done anything to mine, so I'm not an expert here, but I think this is something you need to fix. I don't know if this is reparable or needs to be replaced.

You'll need to figure out if your strut is bent. Disconnect the coupler, and see if the strut is pointing the propshaft through the shaft log without touching the sides. It's possible that the engine/transmission were so far out of alignment that they pushed the shaft against the side of the log, or it's possible that the strut got bent and it's the thing pushing the shaft against the side of the log. Figure out which it is. If it's the strut, search here for "bent strut" for suggestions on repairing or replacing. If the propshaft slides through the strut and goes through the shaft log easily, then it was an engine alignment issue that you're going to fix anyway.

But with that amount of misalignment, I'd seriously consider changing the cutlass bearings while you're at it. The all-plastic "Vesconite" bearings have had good reviews.

/frank
Old 07-01-2013, 08:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

I tried to have a prop puller made at work but I have to modify the bolt spacing to clear the prop. I really want to get that shaft log removed so I can see the damage and check the shaft to see if it's bent. It was raining so I did not get outside much tonight.

Can someone tell me if the sending unit in the upper left hand corner is stock or does it go with that aftermarket warning buzzer I found?

Thanks, Steve
Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

I figured I'd share my shopping list I ordered from Skidim.com. Richard was great about emailing me back the correct part numbers for the parts I needed. If anything is wrong when the order comes in I will modify the list.

1998 LT1 5.7 - Corvette Skidim.com
160 degree thermostat-------------------11905
160 degree o-ring seal-------------------91608
140 degree thermostat-------------------0737
140 degree paper gasket-----------------0709
Raw water impeller kit--------------------0714
Fuel gauge sender-----------------------61611
Hurth 630V front seal (bell housing side)--90-5210 (special order from Indmar)
GFO 3/16 Shaft Packing-----------------31605
XPC Strut Bearings-----------------------32710
Hose 1 x 6 Shaft Log----------------32108
1 Water Hose Raw water inlet-------30305 x 6
1 Sea Strainer------------------------2502
1 Hose barbed straight----------------2513 x 2

Hopefully it will save someone some time when looking for parts.

Steve
Old 07-02-2013, 09:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

I had a couple of puller tools made up. I found something similar to this on the site for the coupling:

and used a piece of angle with a 1 1/8" slot milled into it to go around the shaft:

I used a steering wheel puller and cut down the treaded part to fit between the prop and the rudder.

Steve
Old 07-02-2013, 11:21 PM
MC Devotee

You are now a master of older Mastercrafts, my son. Use your knowledge wisely.

Seriously, cool job of using the tools at hand to get'er done. Did you get the shaft out?