Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2013, 03:37 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Now if we were to bring a 25 into play, id take that over any malibu!! but the 15 really does everything, just isnt good at it.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
You are comparing a 23ft boat LSV to a 21ft X15. Hands down LSV all the way. The wakeboard wake is bigger and cleaner, the surf wake is humongo, and the storage is rediculous. Not to mention their software for their touch screen runs much smother than MC's nightmare of a 2012 system.

There is not a lot of love for bu's here ,but their lines and interiors flow so smoothly you can't deny it. You feel like you're inside your living room when u sit in one. Especially in a 23lsv. While the 2012 may not have surfgate, there is still no question it makes a monstrous surfwave. You just miss on the easy side to side adjustment for goofy and regular riders.

Do you get a bit better build quality in an MC.... I think so, but not by much. Is a Malibu going to fall apart????? Heck no. It's a rock solid proven ride. I think people put MC up there because of all the billet, on the edge design lines, gadgets(auto pop up drivers consoles, power tower), and components( ie JL). Do those items make it that superior? To me in build quality no, but in overall shock and awe yes. That. Billet is dam sexy. Anyone who says Malibu isn't a top 3 boat is smoking crack.
Swatguy is giving good honest feedback.
Now I haven't been behind a X15 but I've spent a lot of time in and behind a 23LSV. The boat throws a super wake for wakeboarding and surfing and Swat's comment about the interior is spot on. The boat has a small playpen in the front which means that you can seat a couple of familys together behind the windshield.

The LSV that I have expenience with is an 08. I have seen some finish issues, flaking board racks and speaker grills but I still consider it a top notch boat.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 06-27-2013, 09:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 PROSTAR 190
SWAT speaks the truth:thumbup:

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-27-2013, 10:15 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: XStar 2006
The X15 is a far better built boat than the LSV. And, the MasterCraft's usually hold their book value more than an Malibu boat. My lake neighbor is a loan officer and can tell atest to this too. There is a 23LSV 2012 down the way from us out on Lake Wissota - which can be choppy with traffic, wind and all - the LSV sounds like a toolbox with "loose bolts and nuts" banging around...and the floors squeek for some reason too. But you know, the LSV is not comparable to the X15...it is more like the room of an X30 boat. My two cents.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:51 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Malibu's aren't bad built boats. They're still in the top three manufacturers, so you can't go wrong either way. Demo them both, see which one you like better.
I can also attest that my neighbors 2010 lsv has never been in the shop, while my 2010 15 spent 6 months in the shop for various things.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
then there's something wrong with your buddy's LSV - there are several reasons i believe mastercraft is a better built boat but malibu builds a fine boat too - disparaging comments like that are either a result of poor maintenance by the owner or exaggeration.

X15 is a discontinued hull, and MC didnt exactly nail the 2012 electronic systems.

I've ridden behind a slammed 04 LSV with a big block. Wake was bananas, i believe the hull has been updated since then and i imagine is only better.

One consideration is how rough can the water get where you normally boat? the lsv will have a much hasher rough water ride.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:29 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
I think MasterCraft has a more robust hull construction. That's important if you're buying a 30 year old boat used boat, or if you plan on keeping your new boat for 30 years. If not, I'd judge detail, fit, finish as equivalent between the two brands. In the case you present above, I'd go for the LSV.

My buddy just picked up a Wakesetter with SurfGate. Very impressive boat.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
It would be a much better comparison to put the X-30 against the LSV. These were the 2 boats I was considering last year and it was a tough call. I actually did a pro's and con's list and in the end there were quite a few more pro's in favor of the X-30. I liked both boats a lot but the storage of the X-30 (about double that of the LSV), the easier folding tower, the better location of tower speakers, the nicer interior, the rear facing seat, the hinged seats and storage, and the Ilmor motor are what helped me decide on the 30.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:32 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X-30, 6.2 Ilmor, Gen2 (w/750s in rears)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
It would be a much better comparison to put the X-30 against the LSV. These were the 2 boats I was considering last year and it was a tough call. I actually did a pro's and con's list and in the end there were quite a few more pro's in favor of the X-30. I liked both boats a lot but the storage of the X-30 (about double that of the LSV), the easier folding tower, the better location of tower speakers, the nicer interior, the rear facing seat, the hinged seats and storage, and the Ilmor motor are what helped me decide on the 30.
+1 on 501s post. I just went through this exact process, and eventually settled on a 2013 X-30 5.7. This will be my 3rd MC (96 PS 190, 07 X-2 previously), and we had an 88 PS 190 for a time growing up. Despite the huge MC brand loyalty, I was surprisingly conflicted. The reasons we went with the MC were the same as 501s outlined above, and were NOT really related to build quality. To his list, I'd add the board rack system (clamps instead of bungees), exterior styling (really like the "hips") and a general feel that the boat's materials just seem a bit more substantial (tower, aluminum, hinges, etc.). There's a reason the MC is only 4 inches longer than the 23 lsv but weighs hundreds of pounds more. That being said, the Maliview control system is impressive and SurfGate is a cool feature, especially since my wife and I surf goofy and all our friends are regular...
Old 06-27-2013, 01:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
i agree, the 30 vs LSV is a better comparison. when i was shopping, i looked hard at the big bu's. having a real bow seating area was pretty important to us. the bu bow seemed like a waste of space and there is no way to have a "walkway" in the bow. we routinely carry dogs and kids and the tiny playpen area wouldn't work for us.

Tags
lsv, x15