Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-27-2013, 10:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Don't forget about the wiring. I would guess that it will need a complete rewire. Based on the prop, instrument bezels and such, the wiring is corroded beyond use.

I understand project boats, but where will you be able to use it once it's done. That boat doesn't take to any type of chop or rough water.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:41 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
I remember a saying about old boats:

"Even for free, its too much money..."
Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar, 351 Windsor
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
Don't forget about the wiring. I would guess that it will need a complete rewire. Based on the prop, instrument bezels and such, the wiring is corroded beyond use.

I understand project boats, but where will you be able to use it once it's done. That boat doesn't take to any type of chop or rough water.
I'd be willing to bet most of the wiring harness is usable or fairly easily replaceable .
Old 06-27-2013, 03:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
I'd give 1,000 and enjoy a fun project. It's save able.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:20 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1991
I appreciate the comments guys, some have been a reality check but all very positive.

COZ, thats awesome you got to spend some time on the west side. The waves tend to be less crowded over there than in town. I live a three minute skateboard ride from waikiki and have been having some of the best south swells we have had in years! I have never ski'd or wakeboarded out here (yet) but there are a few really nice lagoons and harbors that allow towing so the boat would be fun. I would be hesitant to take this boat out in open water in anything but the calmest of days.

nkorep2, that is one badass rebuild you have going. Thanks for the encouragement. I spoke with the seller yesterday and we talked about the current condition of the boat since he saw it last two years ago when it was parked there. I offered him 500 and he didnt seem offended at all. He said that there is interest in a few parts off of it but he would rather see the boat be revived than part it out and let it die. From what he said it was given to him as payment on a debt. He already has a nice sailboat so when this thing took a crap he didnt have any driving force to dig into it. Its sitting in the harbormasters lot costing him a 100 a month to store it there. Anyway, Im waiting on him to go look at the boat and asses my offer after looking at it. The guy seems really cool and has already told me of a few people that he knows can help with a rebuilt 351 marine engine for $600 and sounds like he knows a lot of contacts in the marine industry and would be willing to help me with the restore along the way (not physically but logistically I guess would be the way to explain it). So hopefully the boat will be bought for next to nothing and then all i need to do is find a trailer that can be made to fit. Not sure how hard it will be to cut and weld a trailer to fit...? And then start tearing into her. The cosmetic stuff is not much of a concern right away. Eventually I would love to make it shine of course. My hops are that the tranny can be rebuilt and the shaft and prop/rudder assembly are all okay and just need some time on the ol wire wheel and grease gun. I think the hardest thing is going to be the dang windshield, but thats a long way from being on the top of the priority list. Hopefully my next post will be celebrating the purchase of a mastercraft!!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar, 351 Windsor
Chances are you will have to replace the shaft and couple because its unlikely that it will wanna come off and you'll have to cut the shaft, I took my shaft to a machine shop with a huge press to remove the prop, tranny will likely be ok for a rebuild. If you're careful, I imagine a 7-8k investment over the entire restoration, 10k max, which in my eyes is still worth it because if the learning that will take place.

See if you can figure out more history of the boat and share with us.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1991
Im curious why would the shaft not come free from the tranny, isnt it just 4 bolts? Im guessing you mean the coupler from the shaft, if so, arent they both stainless? they should come apart with some convincing Id imagine. Again, you would know better than I but lets hope a new shaft is not on the shopping list.

So the deal will be done wed, 500 clams!!! Might be the cheapest Mastercraft ever sold... The seller finally checked out the boat and agreed that its not really worth much as it sits unless parted out, which wouldnt get much more... He said he thinks the side windows are lexan?? My understanding is that they were tempered glass but maybe that was other years. The seller is super cool and turns out he is well known in the boating community out here. His friend runs a big boat yard close to my house and it can park there on blocks for 100 a month until a trailer is found or made to fit. The boat yard has fork lifts and cranes to make the engine swap easier, paint booth should I decide to go that route, and lots of engines and misc stuff like specialty tools and welders...

The story about the boat is that it sat Kaneohe Marine base for 7 years and was just abandon there, not sure if the owner was killed in battle but for some reason just left there. Then went to this guy who used it to pay back a debt to the current seller who is selling to me on Wed. So this poor boat has been dry for way too long! Cant wait to start tearing into it!

One question, where do I look to find out if it has the standard or powerslot tranny and can anyone tell just from the pictures what kind of engine option this thing has? I believe its a for 351 but not sure what other options there were in 91. Thanks guys!
Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Usually the tranny will have a placard on it that should tell ya. Also on the engine should be a data plate for the motor, just have to search around for it, if it isn't corroded etc. Also, check the prop/shaft size. A 1" usually is a 1:1 ratio, velvet drive, whereas on these older boats a 1 1/8" is often used for a power slot 1:1.5 reduction. I am glad that you decided to give it a shot, most of us will be following your project closely.... Good luck!
Old 07-02-2013, 12:43 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Sounds like you are in at a pretty fair price. Congrats

That is a Ford engine....dist in the front is a dead give-away. Post some pics of the trans and we should be able to ID it as well, but the tag will tell you if it's still legible.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 07-02-2013, 09:32 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Good luck with the rehab, keep us posted.