Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2013, 09:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1999 330HP Powerslot - 1st MC 1987 ProStar Current 2012 ProStar 197
Fly Hi and Bimini Top

TTers, Check out the pic of my boat with Bimini Top. I have a Fly Hi we use for footin' and those million loops of tubing with the kids. (hate to admit it but the kids love tubing). Have two questions:
1. Has anyone cut a hole into the bimini to pass Fly Hi through? and if so how did you do it?
2. Anyone have pics of it?

Is it as simple as sizing up the pole and making a mark for my canvas guy to cut and stitch around? Any tips for it or any things to be aware?

Thanks
PT
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2013, 10:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
PT, I may pull my '90 out of the garage this weekend... my bimini was modified for the fly high. Depending on placement, you may need to account for the pole as well as the cables. Swing by if you want to check it out in person!
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2013, 10:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1999 330HP Powerslot - 1st MC 1987 ProStar Current 2012 ProStar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
PT, I may pull my '90 out of the garage this weekend... my bimini was modified for the fly high. Depending on placement, you may need to account for the pole as well as the cables. Swing by if you want to check it out in person!
Hmmmmm Tim I never even thought of the cables. Good thing I posted this!! I will have to check it out. Good heads up!!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:07 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
My vote goes for just putting a mini tower on it

HOWEVER, if you do continue to use the fly high, it's not recommended that you pull tubes from it. That's a lot of stress especially since the fly high is really only made to pull straight from the back out to about a 45* angle.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
My vote goes for just putting a mini tower on it

HOWEVER, if you do continue to use the fly high, it's not recommended that you pull tubes from it. That's a lot of stress especially since the fly high is really only made to pull straight from the back out to about a 45* angle.
I hear you mzimme. These are little kids and we are not wipping them around crazy like. I know not to push the limits of the fly hi! Thanks for checking in though!

I'm not a big fan of a tower on a prostar.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:06 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 1999 ProStar View Post
I hear you mzimme. These are little kids and we are not wipping them around crazy like. I know not to push the limits of the fly hi! Thanks for checking in though!

I'm not a big fan of a tower on a prostar.
I think the mini's look good.. normal towers are too tall though. As for your bimini question, I've seen people have an upholstry shop cut a slit where you need the pole and/or cables to pass through, then put in a zipper. This way you don't have holes in your top when you aren't using the pole. Just zip up the hole and it's like the slit isn't even there! You could probably even have them put fabric over the zippers so they're completely hidden from view when you have them zipped up.

Love your boat though... every time you post a picture I drool on my desk a little bit.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190
I know some people get an upholstry shop to install a zipper where the pole goes through so it can be closed up if you arnt using to pole for the day. And also seems like it would be hard to get an exact spot where to cut a circle hole for the pole, so a zipper would give you a little front to back leeway
Old 06-27-2013, 11:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
I think the mini's look good.. normal towers are too tall though. As for your bimini question, I've seen people have an upholstry shop cut a slit where you need the pole and/or cables to pass through, then put in a zipper. This way you don't have holes in your top when you aren't using the pole. Just zip up the hole and it's like the slit isn't even there! You could probably even have them put fabric over the zippers so they're completely hidden from view when you have them zipped up.

Love your boat though... every time you post a picture I drool on my desk a little bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.H. View Post
I know some people get an upholstry shop to install a zipper where the pole goes through so it can be closed up if you arnt using to pole for the day. And also seems like it would be hard to get an exact spot where to cut a circle hole for the pole, so a zipper would give you a little front to back leeway
mzimme and Jason H! GREAT idea! A zipper would be perfect! I'd love to see a pic of that if anyone on here has one please pass it along. God I feel like an idiot a zipper never entered my mind! AGAIN good thing I posted this!! mzimme thanks for the props on the boat! We are very happy with it.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Going later this week or next to have zippers installed on my bimini for the Fly High. We want to keep using this bimini if/when we get a tower, so I'm going to have them make it look as "factory" as possible. I'll post my pics on TT when I get it done.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLVMI View Post
Going later this week or next to have zippers installed on my bimini for the Fly High. We want to keep using this bimini if/when we get a tower, so I'm going to have them make it look as "factory" as possible. I'll post my pics on TT when I get it done.
JMLVMI that would be great! Thanks!