Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-26-2013, 08:18 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft x-Star 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by willg View Post
I would think computer fans might have a problem creating enough pressure. This is another option for less $$: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEACHOICE-IN...110cac&vxp=mtr
Thats another option I was looking at. I was actually thinking of using 3 of these inline in each of the ducts and have them sucking air through the heater core rather then blowing into the front of it. I might actually change tact and go with this option. I think it will deliver better air flow results for the same price. And might mean the heater box can be a lot smaller.

Thinking about it.....if these were in line, they could actually go anywhere in the duct which will give a bit more flexability.

The only issue is the noise....blowers are usually not the quietest things in the world!!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURSTY View Post
Thats another option I was looking at. I was actually thinking of using 3 of these inline in each of the ducts and have them sucking air through the heater core rather then blowing into the front of it. I might actually change tact and go with this option. I think it will deliver better air flow results for the same price. And might mean the heater box can be a lot smaller.

Thinking about it.....if these were in line, they could actually go anywhere in the duct which will give a bit more flexability.

The only issue is the noise....blowers are usually not the quietest things in the world!!
Yeah, I though about the noise too, but if you mount them before the core and maybe wrap them in insulation they might not be too bad. The factory heater in my boat is louder than the blowers.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
You might be able to work with something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MCC-12V-Dual...-/250875055779
Old 06-27-2013, 01:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by willg View Post
How is the return line run from the factory? I haven't been able to figure out where mine returns to the engine, there is definitely not a y return line in the raw water inlet. I haven't invested much time into the source of no heat, I never need the heater, but it blows cool air at every speed.
The Y into the raw water hose is an after-market thing. On my current boat the return line goes into the water pump RH side.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 AM
TT Newbie

I haven't given up on this yet. My blower started making a horrible noise the other day, so used it as an excuse to buy a 270cfm 4" blower to test with the heater. At $70 I would be happy using two of these if need be. Will now have to dig out a battery and see what the flow is like through the core. All going well, I will build a proper box out of alloy next and mount two of these suckers on it for lots of hot goodness.

Will then need to work out how to make some hot tubes on the cheap. Thinking round car vents and some tricky alloy tubing with flexible inserts etc.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:17 AM
MC Fanatic

At least you're having fun being inventive!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:46 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerd View Post
At least you're having fun being inventive!
haha yeah....and saving some money! =).

Tried out the blower and the air flow was what I would call "Good", with one, so should be pretty much perfect with two of these. And this blower is rather quiet so with the core inside a locker, it should be quiet enough to not be annoying.

Getting closer to having a working heater box now.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:40 AM
TT Newbie

Heater box is done...apart from paint/powdercoating depending on what I decide.

Did a test with hot water out of the tap and with only one blower, its cranking out hot air probably as good as my 08 Navara does. Should be perfect with two fans!!!

Now to try and make the hot tubes for cheap

Old 07-27-2013, 02:00 AM
MC Fanatic

Bravo! You need to go into mass production now.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:14 AM
TT Newbie

Haha give heater craft a run for their money you recon? :P