Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2013, 11:12 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
And bottom paint is good on yachts and sailboats. Don't see it very often on ski boats.
Vastly more practical and a lot cheaper to put a ski boat or other such on a lift rather than paint the hull and leave it in the water. Harder and more expensive to have that kind of rig for a yacht/day-sailer. Hydrohoist is one solution that will work wherever a trailer boat will float and it will keep the hull out of the water.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
There is nothing wrong with mooring your MC.

My MC has a pretty good algae beard on it right about now.

I contemplated bottom paint. Opted to have it acid washed and waxed every season.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-26-2013, 12:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
I saw that same boat on ebay a couple days ago and saw the bottom paint and the pic where it was sitting in the water. I immediately went away from that boat, bc of all the potential problems mentioned. I understand that you may either prefer or may not have a choice but to leave it in the water, but being a former fiberglass engineer for CC, I have seen some pretty brutal effects from leaving a boat in the water for extended periods. As far as the bottom paint goes, they may have been proactive and painted the boat knowing that they were going to leave it in the water and there might not be a single thing wrong underneath the paint. Keep in mind too that the bottom paint has to be redone every few years or so, depending on use, so that is just another maintenance thing to have to keep up with. With sail boats and yachts, bottom paint is more common bc more times than not they probably don't have trailers bc of the size therefore they have to be left in the water. The bottom paint helps prevent barnacles in salt water as well as other things that could grow on the bottom of a hull. About the only good thing I could say about a boat sitting in salt water is that it is less likely that it will blister, as opposed to fresh water. The fresh water can enter in the microscopic holes in the gelcoat and create blisters earier than salt. Perhaps more than you wanted to know, but it never hurts to have too much info before making a big purchase like a boat.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:55 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Vastly more practical and a lot cheaper to put a ski boat or other such on a lift rather than paint the hull and leave it in the water. Harder and more expensive to have that kind of rig for a yacht/day-sailer. Hydrohoist is one solution that will work wherever a trailer boat will float and it will keep the hull out of the water.
the bottom is getting done on our family sailboat today, its actually pretty low maintenance. some scuba divers clean it for us once every couple months i think.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X25SS
Nothing wrong with bottom paint. I live in the Mediterranean and out here the only way is to be moored in Salt water. No lakes, no easy launching so my boat is pretty much docked at the marina throughout the summer.

Bottom paint is therefore a must. I have never had blisters in the gel coat. Boat is taken care of and washed daily.

At the end of the season boat is removed and stored, paint is sanded off and new paint is applied the following year before putting it back in the water. It is also known as antifouling.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:43 AM
MC Platinum

Gelcoat blisters, algae staining, leaking shaft seal, leaking rudder port, rain getting in under the cover...

Ya gotta do what you gotta do, but keeping the boat in the water is NOT optimal and DOES put your boat at a potential risk that doesn't exist for a boat on a lift.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Gelcoat blisters, algae staining, leaking shaft seal, leaking rudder port, rain getting in under the cover...

Ya gotta do what you gotta do, but keeping the boat in the water is NOT optimal and DOES put your boat at a potential risk that doesn't exist for a boat on a lift.
Your making me rethink my decision.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-26-2013, 10:40 AM
MC Platinum

The problem is that it's a crap shoot. I don't know what the variables are that contribute to hull blistering on one boat while the boat built on the same line on the same day with the same materials right next to it has no problem. It's common enough problem that MasterCraft won't warranty it. OTOH, other brands do, I hear.

I do know a guy that left his boat moored in a slip year after year. Algae staining was his biggest problem and he always told me that a boat lift just wasn't necessary. Never had a problem over all those years. Two years ago, he noted some leakage from his rudder port. He planned to bring a grease gun next trip to the lake. In the meantime a rainstorm came up, a corner of his cover came loose. Water was getting in but the bilge pumps kept up...right up until they finally drained the battery. It sank.

A high quality boat lift can cost $10,000, and in some places a lift isn't allowed or practical. I get it. But still......
Old 06-26-2013, 10:43 AM
MC Devotee

As for this blistering problem. Does it actually have any effect on the boats usability?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:54 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
As for this blistering problem. Does it actually have any effect on the boats usability?
I don't think so. I've never heard anyone complain about that. I suppose they would/could eventually burst and expose the barrier coat, but I'm not sure that represents a usability problem either.