Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 06-24-2013, 04:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougH View Post
Awesome, I'll try faster this weekend. Although I'm going to assume it firms up the water for my falls too...
If your going to move into inverts I would highly recommend a helmet. You mentioned being pretty fatigued after single wake slow speed practice. Bow try a couple sets at full speed. Yes it will firm up the water for your falls as well, and a helmet will help that pain. Making you able to get in more sets before getting to fatigued and possibly causing and injury because your trying things even when your strength is gone.

Trip into your tantrum. And stomp off the top, spot your landing early and don't close your eyes. Lastly, do whatever you can to consciously hold on to the rope. Not letting go on a sloppy rotation can mean landing the trick because the rope and boat will pull you out of it.

Good luck

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-24-2013, 08:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
So I've been wanting to start inverts this year, and was thinking about posting a thread like this, so thanks to the o.p. for posting. I've watched the videos tried a few times on rotations with no luck. Where do I start? Should I start with rotations off the dock with no board trying To get used to the rotation? Or just work on rotations at a slower speed behind the boat until I feel comfortable enough to try a full rotation? Or is there a way I can work on tantrums away from the lake?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
its the trip at the peak of the wave that differs the tantrum from say jumping off your dock. The OP looks like he didnt pop or trip off the wake, which is why he didnt get the rotation or air needed.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
Are you trying backrolls or tantrums? If tantrums feel awkward maybe try backrolls instead. You don't have to be as aggressive and can work on them at slower boat speeds. Tantrums are a commitment trick but backrolls kinda do the motion their self.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 PM
MC Devotee

Maybe I should try back rolls to start?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
Try some and see what comes easier.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
some people prefer the backroll some people prefer the tantrum. Try a couple of each and see what feels better. I learned the tantrum first and the backroll second. However the backroll feels completely more natural to me and the wrecks associated with learning each also were less on the bankroll.

With that said I have buddies that were the complete opposite of me.

In the video you are leaving way to early. MAke it to the top of the wake. When you think you want to pop and initiate it, wait 2 more seconds. You're definitely trying to muscle it yourself. The wake pretty much will initiate everything for you if you wait and make the trip flip edge pop so easily. So really wait on it. I would also speed up a bit. Really start on the gas hard towards the wake when you cut in, then let off and flatten out a bit right before you go to the "trip flip edge" where you square up. the huge key for me was really exaggerating laying out with only one hand on the roper as I entered the trough as mentioned. Make sure your head goes straight back not around and back and make sure your arm holding the handle stays extended otherwise you will start to rotate in the air.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
CL

You can slow the boat up for backroll attempts and really get the edge dialed to tone down the crashes for the first attempts. A soild progressive edge and line tension are key. You dont need much of an approach like you do on the tantrum so you can start your cut in much closer to the wake.

I learned tantrums by slowing the boat a little and going from inside out on one wake as well as in the flats off of rollers on turn arounds to just get the basics on the edge change and the rotation.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:09 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
CL

You can slow the boat up for backroll attempts and really get the edge dialed to tone down the crashes for the first attempts. A soild progressive edge and line tension are key. You dont need much of an approach like you do on the tantrum so you can start your cut in much closer to the wake.

I learned tantrums by slowing the boat a little and going from inside out on one wake as well as in the flats off of rollers on turn arounds to just get the basics on the edge change and the rotation.
Thanks for the tips! I'll try some this weekend and get back to everyone
Old 06-26-2013, 11:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
CL

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
Thanks for the tips! I'll try some this weekend and get back to everyone
Swatguy pointed me to this a while back about backrolls.
Wakeboarding Tip: Low Impact HS Back Roll Progression - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNhCwKLf48