Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 AM
TT Newbie

I'm loving this thread! I just read through the whole thing since I just recently purchased a '87 Prostar 190 with only 605 hours! I've had it out on the water twice since I bought it in April and am loving it! Currently I'm upgrading the stereo as mine still had the original cassette deck.. Haha Keep us posted!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
Thank you okkomatz. You should join the forum!

To keep this thread updated: this past weekend I replaced the starter with an Arco 70200 gear reduction unit heavily recommended by other PS 190 owners.

Put in the recommended heater Y pipe.

Replaced my ultraflex 14' steering cable.

And started rebuilding my 4160. That thread is here.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
http://i.imgur.com/vYcaZ.jpg

Just a follow up to this thread. When I put on my plug wires I ran them neatly parallel as evidenced here.

What I have since learned is that the wires for cylinders 1 & 3, and 5 & 6 should not be run closely together. Induction "cross fire) can occur. I was experiencing random misses and they seem to have gone away since re-routing the wires according to this ford TSB image below. It says 5.0L but it applies to the 5.8L as well.

Also, "Spark plug & coil wires should measure ~7KOhm/foot from the terminal inside the distributor cap to the terminal in the boot that slips over the spark plug. "
Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 ProStar 190 LT1
nice work. after going through your thread..... i want to invest in a blasting/coating setup. i want to clean my motor up and make it look awesome too!!

1*