Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 06-23-2013, 01:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
Ballast pump flip

Ok, so I thought after 500 hrs I'd change out the yellow impellers with green but when do'n so the starboard pump was upside down so I flipped it over to make all the impellers on top of the pumps causing the fill-drain to work in opposite now. I need to swap the wires at the switch to keep the fill drain correct.
does anyone know what 5 wires I need to swap or is there a better way?
Old 06-23-2013, 02:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Pull the entire switch out, pop the labeled part off, flip switch, pop top back on, push switch back into hole.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X30
Or simply remove the two screws that hold the impeller housing to the motor and flip it around. Reinstall two screws and two hoses and you are good to go.
As an FYI, the pumps usually fare better with the impeller housing on the bottom with the motor on top. When (not if) the shaft seal in the housing leaks, if the motor is on the bottom, it gets fried.
Motor on top makes impeller changes more difficult but pumps usually last longer.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
What I'd like to do is lay the pumps horizontal on a rack/shelf similar to the newer XStars sometime in the near future and if I feel the need for three additional pumps there'll be room for them as well
Old 06-23-2013, 05:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyskiguy View Post
Or simply remove the two screws that hold the impeller housing to the motor and flip it around. Reinstall two screws and two hoses and you are good to go.
As an FYI, the pumps usually fare better with the impeller housing on the bottom with the motor on top. When (not if) the shaft seal in the housing leaks, if the motor is on the bottom, it gets fried.
Motor on top makes impeller changes more difficult but pumps usually last longer.
Did this last year and worked like a charm....

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 06-23-2013, 06:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73blue View Post
Pull the entire switch out, pop the labeled part off, flip switch, pop top back on, push switch back into hole.
Easiest way
Old 06-24-2013, 08:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
You really want the impeller on the bottom of the pumps to keep water from seeping into the motor. I think my starboard one was impeller down and the port one was impeller up, but I can't remember.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
Ok, so I thought after 500 hrs I'd change out the yellow impellers with green but when do'n so the starboard pump was upside down so I flipped it over to make all the impellers on top of the pumps causing the fill-drain to work in opposite now. I need to swap the wires at the switch to keep the fill drain correct.
does anyone know what 5 wires I need to swap or is there a better way?
You've made a bad choice here. While turning the impellers up to the top might make it easier to change them out, you will surely fry pumps faster.

The warning on the pumps says they can be mounted in any direction you see fit. While they will work in any direction the seals will fail and water will get into the electrical motors burn them up.

You are better off turning all your pumps so the impeller is face down. What this will do is make it so if the seal fails water will not leak into your pumps. This will make them last far longer then if they are mounted impeller side up.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Agree with Can'tRepeat. I had one pump fry and the other start making noise. Flipped my pumps this spring. I pulled the two screws and turned the pump head 180 degrees in the process. No need to mess with wires or switches this way and everything works as it should,

As far as remounting to make it easier to change out impellers..... So you ran 500 hours and this is your first time messing with the pumps? Sounds like changing impellers isn't something you'll need to be too worried about. I checked my impellers after about 150 hours of boat use and they still looked nearly new. Unless you're looking for projects I'd reinstall the pumps with the heads down and let it go.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 AM

Boat: 06 X30
As posted you can rotate the housing to change the flow of water.

You can also change two wires on the switch and do the same thing. They are the two wires that operate the pump and will not be red, black or orange. This wiring diagram shows the common wiring for MC ballast pumps. Switch over the two pump wires and you are done.